Hunting with people who don't understand beaststyle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Hunting with people who don't understand beaststyle

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 pm

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink. I’ve started similar threads in the past.

The guys who are saying just do your own thing are right. I’ve got some friends going after a big one whom I gave advice to in the past. They didn’t take it. Now it’s shooting them in the foot, as what I suggested would have put them in a really good position to kill this deer. Instead they sit there unprepared.

The only way you’ll convince him is by showing him the bucks you bring home. Just stay happy and positive. If he asks for advice try and help but don’t expect him to take it. You basically have to prepare yourself to watch him screw himself over every year, but say nothing about it. That’s what I’m going through right now. Have been for years.
Last edited by Lockdown on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Dewey wrote:
crankn101 wrote:I dont know what to think about this thread. A guy thats never hunted this style is already looking down upon others as if he is better than they are. Just remember, one of those same old tree sitters that sit in the same tree year after year will kill a bigger buck than you will, its almost guaranteed.

Nobody is looking down on anybody. Not just hunting but everything in life if you do exactly what everybody else does and expect different results you are headed for a life full of frustration. Branch off and create your own road. We all have been around people who limit our growth and drag you down. Recognizing that and choosing to better yourself by going your own way is tough to do at first but you will be way better off in the long run. Always better to surround yourself with like minded positive individuals. Great thing about the Beast is we are all on the same page and understand.

Bingo. Worst thing you can do in life is live every day like you have to prove something to somebody else.

Prove to yourself that you can do what you set out to do, and enjoy the journey. Happiness lies within. Maybe you want others to enjoy success, but if they don’t want it, it won’t ever happen. Might be hard to swallow (I’m guilty of it big time with my family) but once you do it makes things a lot simpler and you start enjoying things more. I started enjoying hunting a lot more when I made it about my personal growth and doing what I wanted instead of listening to what others told me to do.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:48 pm

I will say that over time you can slowly convert people but you really have to do it on your own first and then slowly teach. In our rifle hunting group I have been slowly teaching them about bedding areas and explaining why deer bed the way they do. Explain the wind to them, explain transition lines and travel routes, try to get them to understand pressure, teach them some of the basics and be patient. It's taken me ten years but I am starting to see some of them picking it up. I have been picking out some new rut stands that have produced some nice bucks for myself and others. I try to take Dan's approach and share the info and success with others, two guys in our group have shot the biggest deer of their lives on new spots I have picked out. In the bigwoods it can take some time to realize if a stand is in the right spot or not and I can't be everywhere at once so I put others in these spots and it helps me get a better idea about what is going on in the area. I'm helping them learn and get on bucks and they are helping me by reporting what they are seeing and of course every time a nice buck is shot that just helps confirm some of my educated guesswork. Some of them are starting to follow me deep into the swamps and as our deer numbers finally recover we could have some of our best years ahead of us.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:50 pm

crankn101 wrote:I dont know what to think about this thread. A guy thats never hunted this style is already looking down upon others as if he is better than they are. Just remember, one of those same old tree sitters that sit in the same tree year after year will kill a bigger buck than you will, its almost guaranteed.

Look big chief, I wasn't looking down on anyone, especially the guy i was talking about. You only no a small percentage of what was going on. All i was trying to get across is that he was refusing to think outside of the box to get after a deer. However, you do bring a good point up, i have never hunted a full season this way before, so i probably shouldn't be trying to help anyone else grow as a hunter.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:52 pm

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Nobody is looking down on anybody. Not just hunting but everything in life if you do exactly what everybody else does and expect different results you are headed for a life full of frustration. Branch off and create your own road. We all have been around people who limit our growth and drag you down. Recognizing that and choosing to better yourself by going your own way is tough to do at first but you will be way better off in the long run. Always better to surround yourself with like minded positive individuals. Great thing about the Beast is we are all on the same page and understand.

Bingo. Worst thing you can do in life is live every day like you have to prove something to somebody else.

Prove to yourself that you can do what you set out to do, and enjoy the journey. Happiness lies within. Maybe you want others to enjoy success, but if they don’t want it, it won’t ever happen. Might be hard to swallow (I’m guilty of it big time with my family) but once you do it makes things a lot simpler and you start enjoying things more. I started enjoying hunting a lot more when I made it about my personal growth and doing what I wanted instead of listening to what others told me to do.

True, i just need to hunt for me and not worry about the rest!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:36 am

Do what you do. Lead be example and let the chips fall where they may. After many years of fighting it, I discovered deer hunting to be a solitary journey for me.
JMax1978

Unread postby JMax1978 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Pennsylvanian. You do need to hunt for you. That tag has your name on it. And it is your time in the woods. I was fortunate to meet someone from this forum that was local to me when I started this journey on Beast style of hunting. We bacame friends, share information and learn from each other. Heck. After we compared post season scouting. There isn't a spot that we haven't crossed paths. So we work together when we need to, and lone wolf it most of the time. But we always let each other know when we sat at a location so the other one knows not to waste time there, or to figure out what the next move should be. What I am getting at is this. A couple of hunts a year with someone like minded is better than 20 with others that will frustrate you. I understand the situation. I went through it last year myself. I just had to explain what I was trying to accomplish and break off on my own. I can't even talk deer hunting with most people anymore without one of two things happening. A) I get irritated. B) I end up trying to justify myself. You will be more productive and happier hunting the way you want.
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:09 am

I’ve encountered this many times with co-workers/friends telling deer stories. I key on to “my spot” or “I hunted the whole weekend in this spot.” I just ask the questions…

What made you pick that spot? (usually seen or killed a good one there)
Where do you think the deer will come from or bed?
What kind of wind did you have?
Do you think the deer will come there if they smell you with that wind?
Do you think they’ve smelled you before?
Do you think its pushing them away from that spot?
What new spots do you think will surprise them?

Then hit them with it…………"Dang can I hunt that new spot. It’s a killer spot with that wind!"
Either they hunt it or come back to me and tell me they wish they did. You gotta make it seem like their idea, and you want what they have. :D
stinger-hunter
Facebook: /storiale

Unread postby stinger-hunter » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:07 pm

I have almost always said...tell me where no one wants to go and Ill hunt there. I have gotten a few big ones that way.

I dont always do it, but I hunt with people that have either no motivation to practice, scout, etc. So, I put them on the other side and they waste their time.

This year, I'll be implementing The Beast methodology and the hunting public guys have taught me a lot.

I can't wait!
RidgeReaperZZ

Unread postby RidgeReaperZZ » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:15 pm

When I was 12 I started bowhunting with family on Private land. Almost everyone in our hunting group had thier own little 1/4 acre food plots for night stands and 1 or 2 morning stand spread out on about 400 acres. There was probably 10 of us each weekend hunting....hunted there for 10 plus years but decided to go my seperate way hunting public. I learned alot about deer behavior but we never really shot many good bucks. If we were lucky 1 of the 10 would shoot a 120" class buck a year. After hunting public for the past 3 years and applying some basic beast stye tatics my big bucks sightings have gone up dramatically...Ive passed up many bucks i would have shot on my family private because of other big deer i have seen hunting Public. I know talking about tactics with some of the family i use to hunt with would be like talking to a wall so i now take cell phone videos and stash trail cam pics on the phone....The Videos & Pics dont lie.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:47 pm

In the words of Kevin Hart..... "You gonna learn today"! Do you and let them do their thing. It your actions speak for you.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:01 pm

It gets frustrating for sure but hopefully some things resonate with them. One buddy sent me aerials of a massive tract of public near his work that he and his boss are starting to hunt. He asked my opinion and I dissected a massive 2-3k acre chunk for him only to receive back “that’s too far from the road”... Place looked so good that I might make the 2 hour drive to hunt it :lol:

Let your reputation and actions do the talking, then they’ll really listen.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:35 pm

You can't change a person's mind if they don't want it to be changed

You can still share camp and go separate ways

When you start killing bucks people say you had a good year, then you are just plain lucky, and eventually they start to think you have something figured out because you can't stay that lucky. That's when you have their attention.
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Hunt however you want to hunt. If you enjoy beast tactics then great. Once you become consistantly successful your buddies may take notice and ask you to help them learn, or they may just call you lucky and sit the same stand day in day out because it makes them happy. I try not to discourage anyone in the deer woods because hunter numbers are declining year after year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”