onx vs basemap

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lastoneout

Re: onx vs basemap

Unread postby Lastoneout » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Bowhuntercoop wrote:
Lastoneout wrote:
jporcello wrote:dont forget vets 50% discount for onx maps

How do you go about getting this ?

You have to call them. I posted about it a few months ago. An onx worker and I were bullshitting at a trade show and he told me about it. It’s 50 percent off. Call onx and they will verify everything and take care of ya!

Sweet, good deal I will look into this thanks for the heads up brother, KILL.

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:00 am

In my opinion, it is really tough to beat OnX. The ability to download your maps for areas that you don't have cell service sets it apart to me.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 pm

Have never used basemap but Onyx is legit. Love being able to box in certain areas on a map and find out how many acres are in that box.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:34 pm

I currently have onx. I like it but am not overly impressed. I have used backcountry navigator and it is fine also. I have found myself using terrain navigator free app instead of onx because i prefer a usgs topo to the “topo” map that onx offers. You can download maps for out of service a lot easier on backcountry or terrain navigator than with onx in my opinion.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 pm

For OnX, when you download maps for offline usage, does it sync new waypoints or show you where you are? Sounds silly-no signal, no chance, but I thought Id ask. Im leaving for WY in a few weeks. Im guessing service will stink.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:53 pm

HoosierG5 wrote:For OnX, when you download maps for offline usage, does it sync new waypoints or show you where you are? Sounds silly-no signal, no chance, but I thought Id ask. Im leaving for WY in a few weeks. Im guessing service will stink.

Yes it does both. I turn mine to offline, turn the phone to airplane mode to save battery. It still shows all my way points and shows me my gps location on the map.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:05 am

I have basemeap and ONX. I purchased the basemap through the Garmin site for my Montana 680T. This allows you to download any amount of imagery you want and once the subscription runs out you still keep the downloaded files. It's called Birdseye. Another thing that the Birdseye imagery does extremely well is allows you to zoom to any level and it clearly shows the imagery. Too many other apps or programs I've had when zooming in do not clear the images up and it's a blurry mess. I then purchased the ONX for the WI "plat book" or land owners map. I can overlay everything at once: the original topo mapping, the imagery, and the land owners to show me everything I want to see. I've been more than impressed with this setup and it's the only thing I use. I do not rely on my cell phone any longer as I've almost lost a nice buck when the cell phone couldn't pick up signal for me to find where I marked it.

I will try to post a screen shot of the Garmin with all of these option turned on.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:51 am

HoosierG5 wrote:For OnX, when you download maps for offline usage, does it sync new waypoints or show you where you are? Sounds silly-no signal, no chance, but I thought Id ask. Im leaving for WY in a few weeks. Im guessing service will stink.

GPS on your phone is separate from cell service, even without cell service you will maintain GPS. I've never lost GPS signal on my cell phone in the Adirondacks. I dont trust the cell phone compass though, had a bad experience in a snow storm. One of those snowing so hard storms that you cant back track your own tracks :lol:
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:12 pm

jwilkstn wrote:I can't imagine anything better than onX at any price. Completely worth it, but yeah use one of many discount codes for your first year.

Crankn101, the $100 is for all 50 states. A single state is $30 regular price.

Thanks man. I thought it was $100 a state when they first came out and each state had a separate chip.

$1oo for all 50 is a steal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”