Mosquitos in Southern Wisconsin changing deer patterns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Mosquitos in Southern Wisconsin changing deer patterns

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:10 am

For the 2 weeks leading up to season the bucks were hitting the alfalfa hard, then 2 things happened here they cut the alfalfa, and the Mosquitos came on like crazy. The mosquitos are in the alfalfa worst I have ever seen them in any swamp. Walking back to the truck last night across the alfalfa they were billowing up like crazy. There was not a deer on any alfalfa field to be seen. My question is do you think the mosquitos could be better in the woods & the bucks are just staying in the woods eating acorns? These are completely unpressured deer that usually feed out in the open alfalfa till mid October and hour before dark in these hidden fields. I have the right wind tonight for several stands leading to or on the edge of alfalfa, but I am thinking I should get back into the oaks and see if the mosquitos are tolerable in there. Any ideas?

Dewey

Re: Mosquitos in Southern Wisconsin changing deer patterns

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:15 am

Oaks are getting hit hard right now. Sounds like a preferred food source change. Look for current sign and you will be in the game. The skeeters are bad everywhere around here so just going about my business as usual tageting area bucks normally are. Bedding has changed a lot with higher water in some areas so that will also alter patterns quite a bit as well.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am

Most years the bucks could care less about the acorns dropping. The ground will be covered with white oak acorns in December, and we have a lot of deer here, but maybe they have changed, I will have to check it out.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 am

I was in Oaks off of bedding the last two nights and on deer, and TONS of skeeters. Can't imagine them being worse out in the fields, the same maybe, but they were awful by me.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:16 pm

So I hunted the Oaks tonight, on my way in I went passed a doe and fawn bedded about 40 yards off the trail, they never ran just watched me slink by. While sitting I had a 2 year old 8 come by perfectly, he trotted off, then a few minutes later he came running back and cut up the ridge, 3 minutes later he came trotting back and went right back down the trail he initially came on. The mosquitos were much better in the woods, still bad, but not nearly as bad as they are in the alfalfa. On my way out I checked the fields and there was not a deer to be seen on the alfalfa. So my hypothesis is: Mosquitos have definitely effected deer movement. I think they might be moving better in the am as the mosquitos seem less active then, but I am basing that off of what I notice at home.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Pudster wrote:Most years the bucks could care less about the acorns dropping. The ground will be covered with white oak acorns in December, and we have a lot of deer here, but maybe they have changed, I will have to check it out.

This really depends where you live.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”