Negotiating a Rapid in the River

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Negotiating a Rapid in the River

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:55 am

So I am hunting a piece of public land along a stretch of a decent sized river where I live. There are six miles of river that I have been scouting and checking out, and only one put in and one take out at either end of the stretch. The problem I am facing is that there is a rapid about a 1/4 mile from where I put in on the upstream end, which I have tried paddling back upstream on and it is not possible.

My hope is to do some afternoon hunts (by myself) and then come back up river, since there are some good locations within the first couple of miles. This brings me back to the problem though, having to paddle back upstream through this rapid at night. It is shallow enough to walk it up the rapid, but once again this will be in the dark of night which I am not sure is the best idea. Also, when the weather gets cooler I don't like this thought since the water is waist deep and flowing.

I could do some morning hunts and just skip the afternoon ones, but as i am learning some tactics on this site, it seems like afternoons might often times be the best option to get a buck.

So I would love if anyone else has some recommendations for navigating a river rapid, going upstream, at night?
Last edited by HunterBob on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Negotiating a Rapid in the River

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 am

HunterBob wrote:So I am hunting a piece of public land along a stretch of a decent sized river where I live. There are six miles of river that I have been scouting and checking out, and only one put in and one take out at either end of the stretch. The problem I am facing is that there is a rapid about a 1/4 mile from where I put in on the upstream end, which I have tried paddling back upstream on and it is not possible.

My hope is to do some afternoon hunts (by myself) and then come back up river, since there are some good locations within the first couple of miles. This brings me back to the problem though, having to paddle back upstream through this rapid at night. It is shallow enough to walk it up the rapid, but once again this will be in the dark of night which I am not sure is the best idea. Also, when the weather gets cooler I don't like this thought since the water is waist deep and flowing.

I could do some morning hunts and just skip the afternoon ones, but as i am learning some tactics on this site, it seems like afternoons might often times be the best option to get a buck.

So I would love if anyone else has some recommendations for navigating a river rapid, going upstream, at night?

I've got a spot with the same issue. Two things I decided to do. If possible, put in below the rapid so that you go upstream on your way in during daylight. Ride it out at night, assuming it's not to crazy. The other thing I do is use my bow rope and waders, I stick to the most shallow portion of the rapid, whether that be near shore or where ever. I hook my bow rope to my kayak with a carabiner and just pull the kayak with a rope way behind me. I found it easier than trying to walk my kayak through, it also seems to be easier to navigate if you let out like 15-20 ft of rope while dragging.

Good luck
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 am

most of the guys I know who do any canoeing typically carry 100 ft of rope for stuff like this - you may be able to pull the canoe up thru the rapids using rope.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 am

Ya, I can actually imagine doing it that way. Thanks for the advice! I already have waders which I can use in the colder weather as well.

Do you know of guys who do this in the dark? That is the one variable that I have never tried before, but imagine it could be done.
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:40 am

I got a spotlight in a scotty mount on my canoe bow for night time river runnin
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 am

I usually just wear my headlamp.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:59 am

Hatchet Jack wrote:I got a spotlight in a scotty mount on my canoe bow for night time river runnin

HJ,

I was thinking of something like this for my canoe. I just looked through the Scotty Mount catalog and I can't find a mount that is intended to hold a spotlight for a canoe (or kayak). Can you take a picture of your set up? Or any other advice if you don't have access to it currently? Here is a link to the Scotty catalog .

http://scotty.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... alogue.pdf

I will also be in the market for a high powered spotlight. It gets so damn dark down in the small river I hunt, almost no moonlight usually and my current spotlight doesn't quite do the trick on any sort of fog.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:06 am

I like the rope idea, just walk it along the bank of the river.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 am

I’d opt for a flood light style beam and preferably a light bar.

I’ve got my kayak rigged up with a 7.5” light bar pushing 4,000 lumens. Crossing shoals, dead falls and snakes is easier when you see the full width of the area. Especially on moonless nights in thick creek bottoms.

I’d also practice getting in/out of the boat with all your gear when it’s warm out. Not sure how the banks look or how shallow the water is but that can be a chore as well.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 am

Chuck B wrote:
Hatchet Jack wrote:I got a spotlight in a scotty mount on my canoe bow for night time river runnin

HJ,

I was thinking of something like this for my canoe. I just looked through the Scotty Mount catalog and I can't find a mount that is intended to hold a spotlight for a canoe (or kayak). Can you take a picture of your set up? Or any other advice if you don't have access to it currently? Here is a link to the Scotty catalog .

http://scotty.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... alogue.pdf

I will also be in the market for a high powered spotlight. It gets so damn dark down in the small river I hunt, almost no moonlight usually and my current spotlight doesn't quite do the trick on any sort of fog.

I took the scotty camera mount and this spotlight https://www.amazon.com/Ustellar-Recharg ... a993439be5, drilled a hole in the bottom and put a standard camera female thread in. Used waterproof silicone to seal it up tight. I can unscrew it when i need it for bloodtracking, finding shore access etc.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:37 am

I have a similar situation. I am going to stash the yak. Walk in on one side then slip across. Back at night re-stash. I worry about my kayak but a hidden game cam will catch anyone. Life is to short to not try this sort of thing, but to precious to waste on a bad judgement call.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am

Scratchman wrote:I have a similar situation. I am going to stash the yak. Walk in on one side then slip across. Back at night re-stash. I worry about my kayak but a hidden game cam will catch anyone. Life is to short to not try this sort of thing, but to precious to waste on a bad judgement call.

Theres a few videos on youtube of how u can make your own cable lock out of a coated wire dog run, nuts, and plastic weld. I made one long enough to run through all my gear left in the canoe and be able to tie to a tree. Its quiet and light.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Maybe goes without say but wear your PFD...can save your life if something goes crazy in the dark.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:17 am

Double Draw wrote:Maybe goes without say but wear your PFD...can save your life if something goes crazy in the dark.

Yes, absolutely. Thanks again everyone for the help, I think I would be able to do this with a long piece of rope and my waders in the dark.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:34 am

Maybe test run in the daylight first?

Life vest and spare set of warm clothes is a good idea. You can vacuum pack the clothes if you or a buddy has a food saver - suck em right down to almost nothing. Have your stuff in the canoe, tied in securely.

We used to run a few rivers and would lower the canoe down thru the rapids if they were too bad or the water too shallow. Pulling it up would be a diff story but canoe is light and shallow draft so water resistance should be minimal.

Maybe there is a way to perhaps use a longer rope and a pulley or snatch block? Maybe find a big rock or tree and rig the pulley on it, then you can stand off to the side and pull the rope? (or walk the rope in instead of just standing and using arm power) Might be easier and safer.

Use your imagination.

I saw a 150 length of 3/8 rope at Walmart the other day for like $20. Not a bad buy. Plus it comes in handy for all kind of other stuff - we once pulled a deer up a hill using a piece of rope like this, was easier than carrying or dragging.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”