Negotiating a Rapid in the River

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Negotiating a Rapid in the River

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:01 am

Scratchman wrote:I have a similar situation. I am going to stash the yak. Walk in on one side then slip across. Back at night re-stash. I worry about my kayak but a hidden game cam will catch anyone. Life is to short to not try this sort of thing, but to precious to waste on a bad judgement call.

I am stashing a canoe up where I rifle hunt, now I have access up and down the river and more important both sides of the river. There is a mile of bog between the high ground in the river so I'm not to worried about anyone stealing it.

HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 am

I did do a dry run and it wasn't too bad walking it upstream in the daylight. With some of your suggestions of having a longer rope, I think this will be much easier and safer if I were to do this in the dark. I am feeling much more confident about this in the right conditions. Now I will have to put in the work, as it is two miles of paddling each way, one upstream in the dark... I'll let you know how it goes
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:35 am

Goodluck
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 am

headgear wrote:
Scratchman wrote:I have a similar situation. I am going to stash the yak. Walk in on one side then slip across. Back at night re-stash. I worry about my kayak but a hidden game cam will catch anyone. Life is to short to not try this sort of thing, but to precious to waste on a bad judgement call.

I am stashing a canoe up where I rifle hunt, now I have access up and down the river and more important both sides of the river. There is a mile of bog between the high ground in the river so I'm not to worried about anyone stealing it.

That is similar to my rifle plan. The sweet part is that each side of the river is a different state.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:21 am

Scratchman wrote:
headgear wrote:

That is similar to my rifle plan. The sweet part is that each side of the river is a different state.

Nice! I just get different counties depending on which part of the river I am on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”