Spypoint and other cellular trail cams

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crankn101
500 Club

Spypoint and other cellular trail cams

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:37 pm

I know Hunting Beasts are not into cams a whole lot but I have a concern about using one that takes a pic then sends it to your phone.

Do you think these have GPS cords attached someway so people can get the location of "your" deer? Imagine you start getting pics of a public land 180" beast and someone at Spypoint sends the cords to his friend thats in the area.

I was using a hunt style GPS app for my phone and I deleted it for that reason.

Ill wait for answers while hiding under my tinfoil hat... :shock:

Octang
500 Club

Re: Spypoint and other cellular trail cams

Unread postby Octang » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:04 am

I have spypoint cams on my food plot to inventory what deer are around. I love them, I get stupidly excited to see what images come in each day. Spypoint does track the GPS location of your cam when it transmits, which can help if it is stolen. I wouldn't worry about spypoint lurkers giving away your intel. They have no way of easily knowing if you are on public land.

Can you imagine how much extra work that would be for them to page through all of the photos, find the best bucks, pull the gps coords, then reference a map to see if it is on public land, rinse and repeat? It just isn't going to happen.
Swampbuck

Re: Spypoint and other cellular trail cams

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:05 am

They work off triangulation so even if they did track the location, it's pretty inaccurate. When I used to try to locate mine the best it could do was within a few miles. I dont think it's an issue.

But I also wouldn't about it on a gps phone app either. If someone is watching your moves that closely you have bigger issues than them taking your deer :D
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”