Bumped him bad? Don't give up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lu Rome

Bumped him bad? Don't give up

Unread postby Lu Rome » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 am

I know this is general head knowledge, but we do't get many real world experiences of it. I thought I'd share one from a buddy of mine. It even applies to mule deer. He had found a giant, watched him bed and snuck to within 12 yards and waited an hour for him to stand. The wind must have swirled down the draw and sucked his scent up to the buck and the buck bolted. The buck stopped at 40, he shot and hit a branch. He was sure the buck had left the country after that experience. We talked and I convinced him that a buck would learn from it, but wouldn't leave the county. He would still be there. A week later, he went back, located the buck and watched him bed in another draw 200 yards from the first bed. This time he snuck up and killed him.

I wish I could share pics of the buck but I don't want to put his pic out on the web. Think 170ish right side and fairly matched left but with about 4-5 abnormal extra points kicking off in several spots.

Don't give up, a buck knows his homerange and won't leave to parts unknown because of a bad experience.

“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
headgear
500 Club

Re: Bumped him bad? Don't give up

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:19 am

Great tip, it is easy to think that they take off and never come back but these old boys are survivors and they live in certain areas for a reason.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:04 am

Yeah it was too good of an example not to share. Yes, it’s a mule deer, but that’s even more impressive that it happened. They generally have larger home ranges and bedding can be more spread out. They stick with what they know and what’s worked in the past.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:51 am

Lu Rome wrote:Yeah it was too good of an example not to share. Yes, it’s a mule deer, but that’s even more impressive that it happened. They generally have larger home ranges and bedding can be more spread out. They stick with what they know and what’s worked in the past.

True that. Thanks for the reminder.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Yes sir. Just gotta keep after it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”