First hunt of the year plan

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

First hunt of the year plan

Unread postby jbone23 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:42 am

If you ve done extensive post season scouting in an area in spring and know where beds are etc. would you go in for your first hunt to set up on one of those beds? Or would you go in before the first hunt and check the sign around that area before you set up on area? There are oaks in area with some acorns I checked a couple of weeks ago but trees are not loaded.

fireforeffect

Re: First hunt of the year plan

Unread postby fireforeffect » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:14 am

Your first time in is your best chance. If the conditions set up for that particular bed, you have to trust your scouting and go for it. Every time you molest that area you're decreasing your chances of success.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:15 am

I would have everything marked in my GPS from my preseason scouting. I would have a plan already laid out. I am going to hunt that spot on a specific wind. I will not deviate from that plan unless something spectacular jumps out at me on my way in. If I hunt it and notice small details that need adjusted I will make notes and adjust accordingly next hunt. That next hunt may not be for a year or 2.

When you say " go into the area and look for sign" that can mean a few different things. Would I go stomping into the bedding, no. Would I scout perimeters, yes.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:21 am

Pretty good chance I’m just going hunting without checking beforehand. I do have a couple of places where there’s heavy human use of the trails where I might walk and check tracks.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:32 am

jbone23 wrote:If you ve done extensive post season scouting in an area in spring and know where beds are etc. would you go in for your first hunt to set up on one of those beds? Or would you go in before the first hunt and check the sign around that area before you set up on area? There are oaks in area with some acorns I checked a couple of weeks ago but trees are not loaded.

Generally you'll find that most of the hunters on this site will prefer to scout on their way in, stand on back / weapon in hand. You've scouted beds which is a great start but only the first piece of the puzzle; when are they using them? If you blindly walk in and set up, you can't even say you know for sure you're hunting a deer. If you first scout the surrounding area for recent sign, find it, then set up, you at least know you're hunting a deer.

I would recommend reading the entire thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46266
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:45 am

The best bedding areas will usually hold bucks all year. Have confidence in your scouting and plan access routes best ya can.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:04 am

Trust your scouting! And scout your way in!

You'll still fail 9 times out of 10. But you only need one time to make it happen!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:04 am

I rely on post season scouting more than anything for hunting. How I got both bucks last season. If I would of went looking for sign I wouldn’t of got them or I would of set up in the wrong spot

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”