Swamp pic opinion

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Swamp pic opinion

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:34 am

Just to get an idea of perhaps area(s) I’m gonna look at on FL public land

Here is an area in a public WMA
The red x is a higher ground ‘point’ going into and surrounded by a cypress swamp.

Based on the YouTube videos and interviews and such Dan has given, this is the type of thing/area a buck may find very secure to bed?

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Killemquietly

Re: Swamp pic opinion

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:24 am

precisely. They may not go to that extreme in a low pressure area. But definitely where I am.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Killemquietly wrote:precisely. They may not go to that extreme in a low pressure area. But definitely where I am.

Thanks

I’ll check it out.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:59 am

In the swamps I hunt if that ground gets any pressure at all the bucks will recede to the flooded cypress from the high ground. People will walk on the higher ground but they wont in the flooded cypress. By me they typically avoid anything good walking even in the low pressure. So those type spots usually dont work out which is opposite of most places. Just something to keep in mind. You should see buck sign regardless tho
Make It Happen
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Swampbuck wrote:In the swamps I hunt if that ground gets any pressure at all the bucks will recede to the flooded cypress from the high ground. People will walk on the higher ground but they wont in the flooded cypress. By me they typically avoid anything good walking even in the low pressure. So those type spots usually dont work out which is opposite of most places. Just something to keep in mind. You should see buck sign regardless tho

What are they bedding on in there....a cypress knee or two?
{serious question}
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:16 pm

There are high spots and little islands that they bed on.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:39 pm

If you find pines in those cypress domes they will bed next to those. That ground is a touch higher, same with cabbage palms.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Sailfish_WC wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:In the swamps I hunt if that ground gets any pressure at all the bucks will recede to the flooded cypress from the high ground. People will walk on the higher ground but they wont in the flooded cypress. By me they typically avoid anything good walking even in the low pressure. So those type spots usually dont work out which is opposite of most places. Just something to keep in mind. You should see buck sign regardless tho

What are they bedding on in there....a cypress knee or two?
{serious question}

Many of the cypress trees have a mound of dirt around them that makes a little hill. So there are thousands of places to bed
Make It Happen
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:39 pm

I’ve never paid attention. Wow

Good info
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 am

Excellent explanation of mature bucks avoiding pressure... it isn't just hunters that walk the "good walking"... predators other than hunters incorporate efficient travel into their cruise trails... if they smell a sick or wounded buck in the water they move in.

Bucks avoid areas with predator scent and it isn't just us hunters.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:37 am

Singing Bridge wrote:

Excellent explanation of mature bucks avoiding pressure... it isn't just hunters that walk the "good walking"... predators other than hunters incorporate efficient travel into their cruise trails... if they smell a sick or wounded buck in the water they move in.

Bucks avoid areas with predator scent and it isn't just us hunters.

That's a really good point. Many times these areas will get zero pressure yet the bucks are still in the bog. That's probably why, they instinctively know it will keep predators away. So even in low pressure it holds true.
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”