Why no milkweed in the south?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Why no milkweed in the south?

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:23 pm

cameron wrote:I live in northwest Arkansas and have found a type of milkweed or similar plant. They were smaller plants than most that are shown on here with smooth pods that are long and skinny but filled with the same seed. I haven't found alot of it and the couple of plants that I found have not produced every year.

Same as what I've found in west tn. I've seen the plants grow and have some that I transplanted in my yard but it never produces pods after 2 years. I have only found a small pod or two in the woods and it's rare, cause I've looked.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 am

muddy wrote:I was up at our local nursery and they were handing out packets of "activated" milkweed seeds. Basically they have to go thru freezing temps then thawing temps several times to activate the seed. Lots of those southern states dont have enough cold temps to activate seeds but one winter every 6 or 8 years.

That being said, if someone mails you some milkweed, collect those seeds and put them in and out of your freezer a few times and try planting them in a flower box next April. Just something I was thinking of when out picking today.

Drink up!

I wish I'd read this before I cast out about 5000 seeds. Hopefully some come up. If not I'll try again next year.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:29 am

I don't know. No dairy farms? I give up, why?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”