Crossing creeks/river/water

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kcbuckeye22

Crossing creeks/river/water

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:07 am

In the past I've relied on my rubber boots, which limits me. This year I'm trying to expand my access routes and opportunites by not letting water crossings deter me.

I've looked at chest and hip waders, lost in the sauce on which ones will work without dropping a bunch of coin on them. So what's your setup?

Dewey

Re: Crossing creeks/river/water

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 am

Dan’s Five Star Frog Legs.

https://danshuntinggear.com/froglegs-fi ... chaps.html

You can send your own boots in to have the chaps installed if you want.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:24 am

Dewey wrote:Dan’s Five Star Frog Legs.

I just ordered a set of the snake ones - how noisy are these? Should I plan on carrying other shoes to switch into once I get to tree?
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:30 am

DaveT1963 wrote:

I just ordered a set of the snake ones - how nosy are these? Should I plan on carrying other shoes to switch into once I get to tree?

I have them as well. Last fall was my first season in them, and wasn't a fan of the noise. After spring scouting and then turkey season however, I believe the noise is significantly less now. Have setup a few trees with them on over the past few weeks and they seem much quieter. Have some stealth strips on order for odds and end things and mays stick some on the inside of my pair to quiet them even more.

They are hot, but that's just part of it in my opinion.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:59 am

thwack16 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

I just ordered a set of the snake ones - how nosy are these? Should I plan on carrying other shoes to switch into once I get to tree?

I have them as well. Last fall was my first season in them, and wasn't a fan of the noise. After spring scouting and then turkey season however, I believe the noise is significantly less now. Have setup a few trees with them on over the past few weeks and they seem much quieter. Have some stealth strips on order for odds and end things and mays stick some on the inside of my pair to quiet them even more.

They are fairly noisy brand new but break in fairly quickly. I like the option of having hip boots yet I can roll them down and still wear like a regular rubber boot.

If you don’t like the tan chaps you can order them in camo for a little extra. I forgot to do that. :doh:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:15 am

Dewey wrote:
thwack16 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

They are fairly noisy brand new but break in fairly quickly. I like the option of having hip boots yet I can roll them down and still wear like a regular rubber boot.

If you don’t like the tan chaps you can order them in camo for a little extra. I forgot to do that. :doh:

Already pulled the plug - it is going to take 4 weeks (custom size). I almost got nailed twice this year by cottonmouths - figured it was time before my luck ran out. I will probably just pack in some low profile boots to hunt in once I get to my tree.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:09 am

I have knee boots, hip boots, and chest waders. Just picked up the hip boots yesterday for $20 used. Will be nice to not have to deal with waders early season when I don’t need them.

If you aren’t sure if you should get hip boots or waders, I’d get waders. They’re hot early season but keep you nice and warm later in the year.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:28 am

I didn't do much to answer the original question on my first post... in addition to my Dan's frog legs, I use my duck hunting waders, and this year will use my Nucanoe. For deep crossing far back, I'd consider a blowup raft. I haven't used one yet but know some that have.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 am

I have the three forks hip boots from cabelas and they work great for my needs at this point. I've been an inch or two from swamping them though, and moments like that make me wish for chest waders.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:59 am

I do a little bit of river fishing and own a pair of Compass 360 breathable waders. They aren't the cheapest, but I can roll them up and fit them in my pack and they don't take up too much room. These waders are sock foot, so there are no boots attached to it. So when I cross I don't wear any boots, just the insulated sock that is attached to the wader itself. They are tough too, I have taken them through some thick stuff!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 am

Lockdown wrote:I have knee boots, hip boots, and chest waders. Just picked up the hip boots yesterday for $20 used. Will be nice to not have to deal with waders early season when I don’t need them.

If you aren’t sure if you should get hip boots or waders, I’d get waders. They’re hot early season but keep you nice and warm later in the year.

As LD said, if you are only getting one pair and budget is an issue waders are the way to go, I have a cheap pair of canvas waders that hold up well with sticks and other brush that can often puncture neoprene. Hip waders are nicer for walking and in shallower water but aren't as versatile as waders.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 am

If it’s warm it just get wet. Otherwise I use hipboots or a canoe. I want a nucanoe in the worst way
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am

Kcbuckeye22 wrote:In the past I've relied on my rubber boots, which limits me. This year I'm trying to expand my access routes and opportunites by not letting water crossings deter me.

I've looked at chest and hip waders, lost in the sauce on which ones will work without dropping a bunch of coin on them. So what's your setup?

What time of the year are you hunting? I have knee boots, hip boots and waist high waders, but early season say 9/15 to late October I just wade wet with jungle boots. It's nice not having to mess with hip boots etc. I'm good down to the high 40's if I wear a merino underlayer, tend to dry out quickly. Works well for a short afternoon hunt.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Try the garbage bag trick. Get yourself some of the thick contractor grade and keep a couple in your pack with a couple elastic bungies.. slip em over yer boots wrap em up and cross. If you're not going through briers you'll stay dry. Learned this trick from the cajun hunting master Warren Womack down here in Louisiana. it's the lightest way to go and you get to stay in your comfy footwear for the duration of the hunt, instead of wearing waders all hunt for 10 minutes of creek crossings.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 pm

They are like a new carthart Pants or jackets
They are noisy at first till they get broken in then they are fine.
I would wait til after a season or so of use to use for hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”