Mid day wind shift

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nor' easter

Mid day wind shift

Unread postby nor' easter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 am

For a dramatic wind shift, say close to 180 degrees, will bucks typically move a fair distance mid day to seek ideal bedding for the new wind, or just make a small shift inside their current area and ride it out until dark?

backstraps

Re: Mid day wind shift

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:36 pm

I have seen both, as well as a couple bucks would remain in their same bed all day during the wind shifts. Those particular beds were the type of beds when I found them you instantly would say "dang I Know why he is bedding here, its impossible to get to him undetected"

However, I have seen bucks on the 180 degree switch drop off a point into a valley and right back up the adjacent point.
For the most part though, the majority of switches I think were on points where a buck only had to move around on the same point, and not travel far during daylight hours.

Just what I have observed and certainly every buck is different.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: Mid day wind shift

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:22 am

backstraps wrote:I have seen both, as well as a couple bucks would remain in their same bed all day during the wind shifts. Those particular beds were the type of beds when I found them you instantly would say "dang I Know why he is bedding here, its impossible to get to him undetected"

However, I have seen bucks on the 180 degree switch drop off a point into a valley and right back up the adjacent point.
For the most part though, the majority of switches I think were on points where a buck only had to move around on the same point, and not travel far during daylight hours.

Just what I have observed and certainly every buck is different.

I agree with this. Great response.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”