Spike Bucks - What's your thoughts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Pointer

Spike Bucks - What's your thoughts?

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:17 am

The land that I hunt seems to be loaded with them, every year! There are a lot of differing opinions on their development, Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on Spike bucks? I have seen pictures and studies where they can go on to mature into a dandy of buck, but the ol' lore, at least in these parts, is they will usually not amount to anything. I rarely shoot one as they are not what I am looking for, but there seems to be large numbers of them every year.

In my own experiences, my thoughts are torn...last year on the property I hunt, there were at least 5-7 spikes roaming around. Some were clearly young deer, possibly that year's deer that grew beyond a button buck. While still there were 2-3 that were mature bodies with just a set of spikes on top of its head. This summer, I already had several spikes popping up on camera that seemed poised to remain that way until they shed velvet. I know of 2 that I watched numerous times last season that were not with the "herd" like a normal young buck might be. They seemed to be loners or only with other bucks. On one such hunt, 1 of the mature looking ones was dogging a mom / daughter through a field and even tried to run a 1.5 6 pter out of the field.

Should I shoot the mature bodied spikes (assuming they are not going to amount to much) or take a wait and see approach?

Dewey

Re: Spike Bucks - What's your thoughts?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:23 am

I remembered reading this article awhile back.

https://community.legendarywhitetails.c ... ic-of-age/

Might make you rethink the idea of a spike never becoming a big buck.
Ghost Pointer

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:30 am

I have seen that very article. Definitely an eye opener; It is where I developed my current habits of letting them walk. I believe they can certainly grow up, but is there something to these large bodied spikes that are not yearlings or 1.5?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:45 am

If they’re 2.5 and still a spike, I think it’s really poor genetics, a very unbalanced herd, or they’re coming out of a hard winter. I’m not 100% tho. I know in Michigan they’re more common in the north with very poor soils and harder winters
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:01 am

A good friend of mine is a wildlife biologist working for the Michigan DNR. He said that the majority of spike bucks harvested are 1.5 yr old deer and that It is rare for a buck to not develop additional antler points after their first year, even in areas of poor nutrition and severe weather. Genetics play less of a role since it is fairly uncommon for wild, free ranging deer to carry genes which only allow them to grow a set of spike antlers that never develop additional antler points. Notice I said uncommon and not impossible.

If i recall the conversation was centered around the concept of 'cull bucks' and trying to manage for them in free-ranging deer herds.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:03 am

Hawthorne wrote:If they’re 2.5 and still a spike, I think it’s really poor genetics, a very unbalanced herd, or they’re coming out of a hard winter. I’m not 100% tho. I know in Michigan they’re more common in the north with very poor soils and harder winters

Northern WI is the same. In the south I don’t think I have ever seen a spike buck but up north they are very common. Lack of nutrition is the number one factor up there. Southern WI they seem like they go from button buck to forkhorn at the very least.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:07 am

IMO most spikes are 1.5 yo bucks born a little later than the rest of the basket racked 1.5. Given adequate nutrition they will usually catch up in a year or two.

There are also spikes that will always be spikes based on genetics. You can tell the difference between the two by the mature body.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:18 am

Dewey wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:If they’re 2.5 and still a spike, I think it’s really poor genetics, a very unbalanced herd, or they’re coming out of a hard winter. I’m not 100% tho. I know in Michigan they’re more common in the north with very poor soils and harder winters

Northern WI is the same. In the south I don’t think I have ever seen a spike buck but up north they are very common. Lack of nutrition is the number one factor up there. Southern WI they seem like they go from button buck to forkhorn at the very least.

I agree 100% with Dewey's statement and can testify that we have a lot of spike bucks that are 1.5 yo. Also I'm not sure I have ever witnessed a 2.5 yo spike.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:22 am

I would say in Ohio most spikes are also 1 1/2. I do believe that they can still grow into a nice racked buck given time. I've seen a few different articles over the years to support this.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:28 am

Need a 1-buck limit. Then decide whether or not to shoot a spike.

We get a lot of spikes down here. I'm sure that they'll start to grow some points as they get older.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:22 am

We had a button buck that escaped a youth hunter on a small private piece but ended up with a bullet hole through his ear. 1.5 he was a spike and by 3.5 he was well on his way to becoming a big buck. The hole in his ear made him easily identifiable.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:03 am

I don’t have any thoughts about spikes lol.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:36 am

Dewey wrote:

I agree 100% with Dewey. I've seen the exact same thing. Lack of nutrition is a big factor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:49 am

Sometimes you just gotta let that ole cheesy buck slide on by and wait for a good one!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Father in law shot a Michigan “11 pointer” last year that turned out to be a unicorn. As I laughed my daughter reminded me I’ve never shot a unicorn. Challenge accepted. Will pass a spike, but the 1st Uno that crosses me is getting a full cape on her wall.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”