Do you cave in?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Do you cave in?

Unread postby alleyyooper » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 pm

So many that deer hunt near my place do not have a goal except to shoot a deer any size and sex as soon as possiable.
Even when I was young and wet behind the ears we never shot does on opening day.
Spikes I shot when I was younger but as I have aged I have set my goal to shoot nothing less than a 8 point with a nice spread.
But if I have not seen an 8 point when there is only 5 days left in the season I will shoot a little 4 point.

Last year rather than take a iffy shot with my ML at a buck that met my 8 point goal the second to the last day of the season I passed. Maybe I will get another chance at a better shot on the last day of the season. Last day came and went and that buck didn't appear again.

I ran out of venison soon after the new year.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Do you cave in?

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 pm

I don't typically have a predetermined goal. I shoot whatever makes me happy at that particular time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:36 pm

tgreeno wrote:I don't typically have a predetermined goal. I shoot whatever makes me happy at that particular time.

Yeap
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 am

I'm very fortunate to hunt good property in Ohio. My goal every year is a mature pope and young class buck. When I was younger I would constantly give in and shoot a buck of lesser quality. I have a pile of 100-115 inch racks to prove it lol.

Last year for example I could of shot several decent bucks in the 100 - 115 inch range but they all got a pass. I'd rather just shoot a couple doe to scratch that killing itch.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:05 am

I do get excited for deer hunting, just not like I used to - too many empty handed seasons over the past 40+ years. The majority of my hunts are first come, first served - on a plate. ;)

This season is the first year in a long, long time that I will scout more days than i hunt. Let's see if that makes a diff.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 am

tgreeno wrote:I don't typically have a predetermined goal. I shoot whatever makes me happy at that particular time.

X2
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 am

Please shoot all the does you want in Michigan - especially if you live in the Lower Penninsula! It will balance out the herd, make the buck-to-doe ratios better, make the rut more competitive, and on top of that does taste fantastic! Pass on the forkhorn and shoot a doe next time.

Caveat: Does not apply to UP and certain counties with no doe tags.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:50 am

Same here.

It depends on if I can see the bottom of my freezer.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 am

I typically hold out for the end of ML to take a doe on private near my home. Haven't shot a young buck for years. Some years there's almost no chance to shoot a mature animal because of severe winter kill. 2015 I saw a total of 9 bucks during the 2 1/2 month season. (Gotta love the UP) All spikes. They run them selves down badly during the rut then can't survive the cold and deep snow. Thankfully, we've had 3 consecutive mild winters ,so hope is high for at least a 3 year old.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 am

I decided to pass on a button buck last year early, it would have been my first deer ever. I caught some harassment from my buddies for passing on him. Told me I needed to get a kill!
About a week later I did fill a tag with my first deer, a two-and-a-half-year-old nine point. It was worth the wait.
About a week later I passed on a 10-point of the same age class, with still two full months of hunting ahead I figured I'd hold out to see if I found a big boy. No such luck, and I ate my second tag. Our venison ran out about the first of the year, too.

I was able to pick up a doe tag for private land in my County yesterday, so I'm going to try to get one of those in the early season, after some of my buck bed hunting, and I'm going to try to put my tags on a two and a half, and hopefully a three and a half year old Buck this year.

If it's getting down to it in the season and I haven't filled my tags, I'll go for younger Bucks, but probably not a one-and-a-half-year-old. I'm going to try to use last year's deer as my new Baseline.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 am

First 3.5 within bow range, I’m sending an arrow down range. It does make it tougher knowing there’s some big ones around, but with the young kiddos at home I just done have the time to put in the effort required.

All my big bucks have come off private land in MN, so a 3.5 on public is upping the ante for me personally. Very few deer that size getting killed on public around here, so I feel it would be a respectable accomplishment for myself.
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:04 am

My family will eat about 3-4 deer a year. So I set my goal to that.

I usually shoot for a P&Y or better. I've had a few years I got serious about a couple wall hangers, didn't connect, and didn't gather enough meat for the freezer. The younger bucks typically get a pass. I've seen some of those bucks get taken during my father in laws gun deer camp. It's super nice to see those guys get super excited about tagging them.

There's been a few dry years that I took younger deer. 4 years ago I tagged a really small 8 pt while hunting with my 6yo daughter, the trophy wasn't the deer it was the experience with her. So I guess, yeah I cave sometimes....but is it really caving in?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 am

I have 2 goals. One is to kill a 4 year old or older buck and the other is to get some venison. I wait until the last day of season to get some venison if I havent shot an older buck.
I dont cave in because I really dont care.
Ghost Pointer

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:23 am

With my son hunting with me, things changed. In VA, youth can shoot one doe any day during the season. He usually fills that tag along with another deer during the youth only hunting weekend. As he fills the freezer, I can stay focused on trying to find the big boy! If it’s an animal I want to shoot, I have never felt like I was caving in, but a lot of hunter’s standards change drastically from opening day to when the season goes out.

Before VA stopped allowing the use of tarsals, my favorite was to let my son shoot a hot doe, and then I’d wait for the bucks to come to her scent :lol:
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 am

No does are shot on my property by my self or those I allow to hunt here.

Just leave them be as the city slickers who just barely know which end of a shot gun goes againest ther shoulder.
I v'e watched them shoot, 12ga 3 inch slugs might if lucky hit a 10 inch pumpkin at 50 yards. then not be able to hit a semi trailer with the second shot they flinch to bad.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”