Do you cave in?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Do you cave in?

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:40 am

Meat is my primary goal, so I'll take does, or even a small buck early to make sure I have meat if I'm low. I have three buck tags between WI and IL, so that helps being able to make that decision since I can still chase bigger bucks. I'm also selective on where I'll shoot does and little bucks based upon my assessment of the local herd. Will leave does where deer numbers are low, and will take little bucks where buck numbers are very high. I'd be much sadder going a year without venison than a year without adding another rack to the wall, but just my opinion.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:46 am

I like to hold my archery buck tag for an older buck with a good rack and it doesn't bother me to eat my tag at the end of the season if an opportunity doesn't present itself. I haven't killed a doe in over 10 years now since my focus is only on bucks. I love venison but it's not the end of the world and I won't starve if I don't put one in the freezer every year with the bow. It's all about the chase for me. Killing a good buck is a bonus.

Over the years I killed plenty of bucks with the bow so killing a young buck with a smaller rack just to say I filled my tag doesn't appeal to me anymore. Nothing against those that do since we are all in this for different reasons. Shoot what makes you happy. The great part about this sport is it's an individual thing and we can all set our own personal goals. As long as you are satisfied who cares what anybody else thinks.

Gun hunting is a bit different for me. I'm not too choosy with a rifle kill and will kill a smaller buck. I think deep down inside I would feel terrible killing a large buck with my rifle. I know it sounds stupid but if he was bigger than any of my bow kills I would probably let him go and then attempt to kill him with my bow during late archery season. Just the way I'm wired......guess I'm a bit goofy that way. :lol:
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 am

Dewey wrote:Gun hunting is a bit different for me. I'm not too choosy with a rifle kill and will kill a smaller buck. I think deep down inside I would feel terrible killing a large buck with my rifle. I know it sounds stupid but if he was bigger than any of my bow kills I would probably let him go and then attempt to kill him with my bow during late archery season. Just the way I'm wired......guess I'm a bit goofy that way. :lol:

Feel the same way about rifle. Last buck I shot was zero joy, I felt bad for him being close to making it through the season. I am about to the point of just taking my bow out. But we get one buck tag for the year. That I think lowers my standards in archery a bit, so I don't feel compelled to join the pumpkin circus.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
oldman
Facebook: Don Shulka

Unread postby oldman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:31 am

Much like my dating years when I was a much younger fella I don't really have standards. :D

We eat a lot of wild meat in our home from fish to small game to venison. It's one way that I know my family is getting pure clean food without a lot of antibiotics and crap in it. Additionally I grew up relying on hunting, fishing, and trapping to help provide for my family so, I like to have a deer in the freezer.
But now that my boy is older and hunting deer things change.
I remember the pride I felt when as a youngster I hung my first deer in the garage knowing that that doe was going to feed my family. I doubt I would have been more proud if it was a heavy racked buck.
If the boy makes meat, I'll probably just hold out as long as I can before punching my ticket. At least until the month long annual Wisconsin firearms fest.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:39 am

I shoot does. I love venison. I will pass a buck if he is not what I am looking for. I usually tag 3-4 deer a year. If I can find bucks I will stack up the does. It usually takes little effort to knock a few down.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:03 am

I’m after big ones . They all come with meat so if I need meat I try to kill does.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:30 am

My goal is meat first

If it’s a bruiser so be it
If it’s not so be it
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 am

I don't shoot anything less than 8 points. This is something I held to for about a decade now. Unless its some freak monster 6 pointer. Which sometimes happens. Basket racks have been getting a pass in recent years too. I wont hesitate to take any doe. Mature or fawn. Doesn't matter.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:53 am

take whatever legal at first opportunity for the freezer, then set sights higher. Here in La we can do 3 antlerless and 2 bucks and same in Ms, I don't think I'd want to live in a state where 1 was the season limit.
JPiskun1080
Facebook: facebook.com/JoePiskun

Unread postby JPiskun1080 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:05 am

I have different goals for different properties here in NY. The one property I hunt is shared private that’s also an ATV park during the summer, needless to say pressure is to the max. I’m not expecting a NY 3.5yr old their during daylight. My goal for that property is for Doe harvest. My self imposed limit on bucks is 3.5 or anything over 100 inches on my other properties. As I grow as a hunter those limits might change or might stay the same.
You can’t hunt something that’s not there :think: :think:
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:07 pm

I still get excited about seeing does and when i see bucks i get an absolute wreck with excitement.
The last few years ive been alot better in collecting myself and controlling my excitement with bucks.
I still shake with adrenaline when any deer goes in front of me. We are supposed too lol.
I know when that feeling goes away, (which i doubt very much). Im hanging it up for good.
Does. Spikes, four pointers , 8 points, or nub heads, I don't care I just love too see deer. And if i wanna cave in and shoot something for some reason. I can and i will.if legal and ethical course
I Dont care what people say or think. Those days are long over with.
I will also eat tag soup and have a few times in my life. Lol. Everyone does or has.
Just try to enjoy yourself dont set your goals to be unrealistic or unachievable. Learn the deers behaviors and how they use the terrain to do pretty much everything in the areas you hunt. If you do Everything else will fall into place. Knowledge of our prey is our goal
Set your goals like i have set mine try too learn something about an area every time you step in the it Success or failure. Good luck this year and stay positive
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

I just enjoy the heck out of being in the outdoors and hunting! Seeing any deer still excites me. If I ever loose that feel, I might as well hang it up! If I never shoot another deer my entire life, I still feel blessed to have had so many great memories while in the outdoors!

Sometimes people now a days put too much pressure on themselves, and forget to just...Enjoy The Ride!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 pm

My wife allows me to hunt, if i shoot at least 3 deer a year. I hunt 2 states and have 6 tags so doe get hit early on. As far as bucks go, i have different criteria for different areas. But 3.5 is the goal. When i have meat in the freezer its easy to let the young bucks walk.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I don't change my standards during a season within my home state. I take several does a year because venison is delicious, but I won't shoot a buck less than 3 years old, and after I have a 3 year old down, I hold out for older on my last buck tag. Last year I didn't kill a buck, yet had one of my most rewarding seasons ever.
Not all those who wander are lost...
1bhtr

Unread postby 1bhtr » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm

On Bucks I try for a deer with mass rather than young and spindly, I'm a sucker a heavy mainframe 8 regardless of score... That being said I almost never pass up a good opportunity at a doe regardless of how many I may have killed already. I just enjoy it too much... my buddy has gotten upset with me a few times because I'll smack a doe in the middle of some of the best rut days... I have a harder time passing does than young bucks. Last year I shot a buck that was at 30yds before I saw him because of all the thick cover. It was early rut and he was moving at steady gate, I had to decide if it was a shooter, stand and turn to get the shot as he was just past me at 10 yds all this within a few seconds of seeing the deer... anyway the buck had a bladed g2 and I thought he was larger and older than he was, so initially I was some what upset that I had lowered my standards or that I didn't field judge him very well, but given the circumstances I don't think I would change a thing and am happy with the memory of that buck coming in as the sun was setting in the background

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”