Do you cave in?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Do you cave in?

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:59 am

alleyyooper wrote:So what I am seeing here is 90% have the idea a full freezer is a must meaning if it is brown it is down.

I don't think prioritizing meat means "if it's brown its down" in most cases. Seasn runs from mid-September to mid January by me. Usually that affords me the chance to target bigger bucks and meat without a ton of worry I will accomplish about getting meat. I have enough time to hunt and enough understanding of my areas that most years I wouldn't start to truly worry about the meat issue until December. That said, I'l still shoot a yearling buck early once in a while if it feels right. Could be a slam dunk shot and short drag and knowing I have the time to process it that day or the next day, could be the circumstances of the hunt, could be my daughter told me to shoot her a buck.

Anyway, I think those two thoughts can be mutually exclusive.

Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm

oldrank wrote:I shoot does. I love venison. I will pass a buck if he is not what I am looking for. I usually tag 3-4 deer a year. If I can find bucks I will stack up the does. It usually takes little effort to knock a few down.

Are you purposely setting up to target does? If so, in what kind of areas do you like to set up? I'll be doing a fair amount of hunting on new properties this fall, both public and private and that means going into some areas I've not scouted yet. I'd love to fill a few doe tags by picking spots off the map.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 am

Nelson87 wrote:
oldrank wrote:I shoot does. I love venison. I will pass a buck if he is not what I am looking for. I usually tag 3-4 deer a year. If I can find bucks I will stack up the does. It usually takes little effort to knock a few down.

Are you purposely setting up to target does? If so, in what kind of areas do you like to set up? I'll be doing a fair amount of hunting on new properties this fall, both public and private and that means going into some areas I've not scouted yet. I'd love to fill a few doe tags by picking spots off the map.

I own property behind my house. I will kill them there if need be. On public I just shoot them when I have an opportunity. I don't specifically target them unless I'm tagged out on bucks.

If I was targeting them I would still focus on transition lines. Travel routes to food. Oak flats. For me they kinda just show up when I'm buck hunting. If I am in the right mood I shoot one.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:55 am

I rarely will pass a doe , regardless of when in the season it is. I try to put 5 in the freezer- hunting takes enough of my time away from my family the least I can do is bring home some meat in the freezer. I shot 4 last year and we were looking at a empty freezer in April :shock:

Plenty of doe tags so typically i'll hold out for a 'holy sh*t' type buck but I've shot spikes right before the WI gun season if the freezer isnt looking full.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:02 am

I usually hold out for a decent buck until the last couple days of bow season, then it's whatever buck walks by that is legal. I'd rather shoot a smaller buck with my bow than one with my rifle. I can see in the near future I will be bowhunting only
Nothing against hunting with a gun but it just doesn't do much for me anymore.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:26 pm

oldrank wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:

I own property behind my house. I will kill them there if need be. On public I just shoot them when I have an opportunity. I don't specifically target them unless I'm tagged out on bucks.

If I was targeting them I would still focus on transition lines. Travel routes to food. Oak flats. For me they kinda just show up when I'm buck hunting. If I am in the right mood I shoot one.

Gotcha. I too have a hard time passing up a doe, since we love venison so much.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:43 pm

I think what gives a person satisfaction and enjoyment is going to probably a little different for every hunter. So the only standard I hold to is that- what gives me satisfaction and enjoyment. If you're doing that you can't go wrong. For me at this place in life, I love the chase and matching wits with older deer. It's pretty remarkable to think how some of these bucks survive season after season with every hunter in the woods gunning for them, not to mention other predators & difficulties. The feeling I get when I see one is so fulfilling and humbling. It doesn't bother me to not fill my buck tag during a season if it's because I hold to my standard. A day hunting I don't get a deer I'm after just means another day to get out there and chase again.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:30 pm

every year i hold off for the biggest and best buck i can find. for meat i shoot does i normally shoot between 4 too 6 does a year. i dont buy much meat at the store so its either wild game or fish for dinner. i like too switch it up if im feeling burnt and fill the freezer. at this point in my life im not racing to kill the big one but since i took a step back i find myself making more calculated decisions and having better success at both. my goal is too have fun.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
pietersheridan

Unread postby pietersheridan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:08 pm

Dewey wrote:Gun hunting is a bit different for me. I'm not too choosy with a rifle kill and will kill a smaller buck. I think deep down inside I would feel terrible killing a large buck with my rifle. I know it sounds stupid but if he was bigger than any of my bow kills I would probably let him go and then attempt to kill him with my bow during late archery season. Just the way I'm wired......guess I'm a bit goofy that way. :lol:

Same! I only started bow hunting a couple years ago but the challenge and intimacy you have at that close range is way more attractive than gun hunting. I picked up a rifle for opening day rifle in Michigan and I felt like I was cheating on my Hoyt! Went out the next day with the bow.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 am

I always just shoot what makes me happy. Shot distance has a little bit to do with it. If I have a borderline buck at 30 yards, often times I'll pass. If I have that same buck at 15 yards, I'll will often times pull the trigger.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
MNHUNTER23

Unread postby MNHUNTER23 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 pm

I hold off on shooting a buck until muzzleloader season unless its a good one. After that, I'm far less picky and will shoot just about anything to put some meat in the freezer. I still would rather shoot a doe than a small buck regardless of the time of the season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”