Question for Magicman

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Question for Magicman

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Magicman,

I read a post of yours the other day where you made a comment. I may be may be way off but it was something like, "seeing bucks do things while you were tracking that the pros say they shouldn't do."

I remember a few post in the past that you discussed this a little. This is very interesting to me. Can you give some examples of some wierd or interesting things you have seen that would make a stand sitter scratch his head?

I remember years ago you talked about seeing bucks avoid pinch points. Maybe start with that?

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Question for Magicman

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:30 pm

here is a real life example of a buck Im still after. I picked up his track (the red line) and followed it north along the swamp. He was headed right to a well known bottle neck ( circled in yellow). I wondered if he would go thru it. It seems to get hunted by someone every year. just before he got there he continued north instead and crossed a wide open marsh grass area. He decided to go thru an open area instead of going thru that bottleneck. I have seen this many times. These older bucks know the land and know how to avoid hunter pressure.

Also notice how he loves to hang right on the edges. There are a lot of scrapes along that edge and Im sure some of them are from him. This is also a good example of how they use the same routes again and again. I purposely watched the road each day waiting to catch him crossing. For the last 3 years he has been running this same edge during the rut.

I got a look at him that day and came close to getting a shot but he won that day. I hope he made it thru the winter!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”