Mature Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Re: Mature Bucks

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:34 am

magicman54494 wrote:Regardless of where they are, they seem to behave differently in different age groups. young bucks are foolish and take huge risks. This seems to slow down to age 3. They just seem to become a different animal at 4+. They are smart, and very seldom move during the day. Then when they get old 7+ or so they seem to get dumb again.
These are generalizations and each buck is different and personality plays a huge role in this as well.

I really think a lot of bucks that survive in high pressure areas do so because of their personality more than anything. Some bucks are just home bodies and non agressive and do not go crazy during the rut. These bucks have a huge advantage.

I agree with this.

On top of hunting Michigan, I hunt Southern Ohio and it is a night and day difference, I have seen plenty of 3+ year old deer move during daylight, it's a whole different ball game down there and according to this map posted, they have more bow hunters per square mile than us. That surprised me and hard to believe.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 am

The map is statewide average. Michigan is balanced out by hardly any hunters the farther North you go I would imagine. PA is the same way, we have areas with lesser pressure in the T, but there are Western and Eastern PA areas that are probably 30+ per sq mile. I would venture Western PA and Southern MI are probably the most densely hunted regions in the world. Ohio has a good amount of pressure, but more uniformly distributed. And their gun season is short, no rifles, and tough on tresspassing. That saves a lot of bucks.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:04 am

I'd say that a heavily pressured 3 year old is just as smart if not smarter than a lightly pressured 5 or 6 year old. Them pressured deer gotta learn fast lol.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm

<DK> wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:I live in Michigan and I have got to say that a 3-year-old to me is experienced.

Yep I agree w that for sure. Try telling a PA guy his 3yr old 125" buck isnt smart. There are always older, bigger or mature deer around but to me what youre saying is just like a young man that was forced to grow up quicker than the rest of people bc of his surroundings. Every state is different and even varies my region or county in those states.

Agreed. Have hunted MI and it can be pretty similar to NE TN with pressure, specifically a long public rifle season there. A public OH 4 yr old is equivalent to a 3+ year old in those areas when you’re talking conditioned behavior. There are still naive 3 year olds in OH, have never seen one in MI or NE TN.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”