Deer trails in marsh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Deer trails in marsh

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:01 am

Cdewolfe wrote:Has anyone tried still hunting through the marshes? Go in downwind and walk the trails trying to catch a bedded buck? Would be tough but if the water level is just deep enough you should be able to move silently.

Check out the HB podcast with Jason Campbell from Michigan...aka, whitetailassassin. He tells an awesome story about stalking in through the water and setting up on the ground close to a bedded Buck, shooting him as he stood up!
This summer while scouting a bedding area, I jumped a deer no further than 20 to 30 yards from me in the cattails, after wading through thigh deep water to get into the area. So you sure can get close.

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Cdewolfe

Unread postby Cdewolfe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:26 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
Cdewolfe wrote:Has anyone tried still hunting through the marshes? Go in downwind and walk the trails trying to catch a bedded buck? Would be tough but if the water level is just deep enough you should be able to move silently.

Check out the HB podcast with Jason Campbell from Michigan...aka, whitetailassassin. He tells an awesome story about stalking in through the water and setting up on the ground close to a bedded Buck, shooting him as he stood up!
This summer while scouting a bedding area, I jumped a deer no further than 20 to 30 yards from me in the cattails, after wading through thigh deep water to get into the area. So you sure can get close.

I work afternoons so may try some mid morning stalks that way. I just downloaded that podcast to listen to while at work today. Been listening to as many as possible lately. I love stalking turkeys and think it would be a neat tactic to try on deer.
Cdewolfe

Unread postby Cdewolfe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:31 am

Corsair7 wrote:Had similar question. I ended up scouting an area that looked to have trails going through marsh from aerials while cyber scouting two weekends ago. Come to find out it wasn't the typical cattail marsh I anticipated. It was super tall 6-8 ft fireweed (just a guess, not 100% sure). The ground was more solid around the transitions and when cutting across bowls, didn't venture out into main body of the area but did find that they were deer trails. Below I have put an image of the area I got boots on the ground. Top portion is of what the area looks like now, with yellow outline and image below that is area without any green up and you can see the trails. Completely different look. The stuff is thick and tall, the only way I could walk through the stuff was if they were blown over towards the direction I was headed.

I know what you mean about it bring tough to walk through. I used to duck hunt a lot and had to deal with the phragmites all the time. In this area it is over 10 feet tall in spots. I will check the edges this week to see what the water depth is like then scout with bow in hand next weekend. There is a lot of this type of area around me so I want to learn how to hunt it.
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:15 am

Cdewolfe wrote:How do you tell what are deer trails and what's just openings in the marsh? Or are they all trails? Tons of phragmites around me that I'm trying to break down before the season starts. Plan on doing a way more boots on the ground scouting after season but I am guessing it would be more harm than good to do it now so I'm planning on scouting with bow in hand and hunt spots as I find them. Below is an example of what I'm trying to figure out.

I find a good amount of trails on the transition of cattails and phrag. In season I like to scout/hunt where this transition meets the hardwoods. I also see deer bed just inside the edge of phrag islands in the cattails.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 am

I tried this last year on a rainy day during our rifle season and came really close to shooting a nice buck. Kicked him out of his bed while looking for beds. His head was behind some brush while I had my sights on him and by the time I saw the rack I didn't have a shot anymore. I think it can work and be quieter in the rain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”