How to carry in bow and stand while using bike

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: How to carry in bow and stand while using bike

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:37 am

Iabow wrote:I didn't want all the rattle from the bike to transfer to the bow ( probably other thinking ) so I strap it to my stand or use a bow sling. Can ride right by deer and all they do is look at you.

Been strapping my bow to my handlebars for 6-7 years now and never had a problem with rattle on my bow affecting anything. The bow holder on my bars cushions my bow well. The rubber inside that grips my bow eliminates any vibration.

sam

Unread postby sam » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:33 am

What are your plans for if you get a deer? Go back and get a cart?
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:02 pm

sam wrote:What are your plans for if you get a deer? Go back and get a cart?

Depending on the area, occasionally the cart goes in with me. Haven't pulled a deer out with this setup yet, but I think it would work....not sure if I could pedal it out, but if not I'd just push it.

Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks for the pics and ideas in this thread. My wife and I bought a house this summer. We don't live there yet since it needs major renovation, but I've been thinking I could park there and ride the 3/4 mi to a piece of public.

I don't have a bike yet so maybe I'll use my wife's. ;) If you see me hauling my gear on a purple women's bike just wave and look the other way. :lol:
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 am

Dewey wrote:
Iabow wrote:I didn't want all the rattle from the bike to transfer to the bow ( probably other thinking ) so I strap it to my stand or use a bow sling. Can ride right by deer and all they do is look at you.

Been strapping my bow to my handlebars for 6-7 years now and never had a problem with rattle on my bow affecting anything. The bow holder on my bars cushions my bow well. The rubber inside that grips my bow eliminates any vibration.

I've always been nervous by the intensity of the vibrations on mine. We have a mix of sand and dirt, but it's usually fairly rough and gives the forearms a good workout. But it's probably mostly in my head. I've never had the sight actually get altered either.
sam

Unread postby sam » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:10 am

Ack wrote:

Depending on the area, occasionally the cart goes in with me. Haven't pulled a deer out with this setup yet, but I think it would work....not sure if I could pedal it out, but if not I'd just push it.

Do you have a close up picture of how you attached the cart to the bike? Looks like a sweet set up. Do you stick to trails or does it do well off the trails bombing through the woods?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:23 am

bowhunter15 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I've always been nervous by the intensity of the vibrations on mine. We have a mix of sand and dirt, but it's usually fairly rough and gives the forearms a good workout. But it's probably mostly in my head. I've never had the sight actually get altered either.

My Trek has a shock suspension fork. I’m sure that makes a big difference with vibration. Most of what I ride is logging and dike roads so they are fairly smooth to start with.
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Yeah I am like bowhunter15 and do a lot of off trail riding or really rough trails, that was why my concern. I can see how those mounts can help cushion things, might have to try that out and see how it works. I made a large rear rack out of EMT and a tubing bender as well for extra gear.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 pm

sam wrote:
Ack wrote:

Do you have a close up picture of how you attached the cart to the bike? Looks like a sweet set up. Do you stick to trails or does it do well off the trails bombing through the woods?

Don't have a pic, but I modified a coupler from an old kids bike trailer that bolts onto the seatpost. Pretty much stay on trails.....beyond that I'll just walk the rest of the way.

And I wouldn't worry about things rattling loose on a bow mounted on a bike. As long as your bolts are all tight there is no way a bike ride will shake things up to the point of coming loose.....if it rattles the bow that much you will probably be feeling it as well!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 pm

I put my bow on the handle bars, with the ATV holders and stand and sticks are on my back.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”