Bedding area

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

joshp53
Facebook: Josh Ellis

Bedding area

Unread postby joshp53 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:21 am

It's hard for me interpret deer sign. I'm pretty sure I found a bedding area today, though. I started at a small swamp in a public forest right off of an old fire road. On the other side of the swamp there's a steep hill leading to a ridge. About 30 yards up the hill I saw what I think were two rubs about ten yards apart and a game trail. I followed the game trail up the hill and saw a few dropping piles, a couple of which I'm pretty sure were buck turds. At the top of the hill the forest thins out some and there is a ton knee high ground vegetation. In this area there were deer droppings all over the place, mostly at the bases of trees, some pretty fresh.

I think this spot seems promising, but I don't know how I should go about scouting it more, or hunting it. I didn't get to spend a lot of time there today, I had to leave pretty quick. I want to go back and hang a trail camera later today when I'll have more time to investigate. Is this a good idea? It's supposed to rain for the next couple of days.

If I do go back what should I look for?

Or should I just leave the place alone for a while?

What would y'all do?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bedding area

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:54 am

I would stay out till hunting time at this point. Did you see beds? Without beds it may be that the bucks were bedding in the swamp and feeding on the hill? Hard to say...
joshp53
Facebook: Josh Ellis

Re: Bedding area

Unread postby joshp53 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 am

I don't think they were beds, just a food spot I guess from all the poo I saw. I didn't go back to that spot, but I followed an unblazed corridor (an old, grown over road it looked like) to an area about 200 yards downwind of the spot to see if I could find any other sign. There were a few droppings and a few old rubs on about two inch diameter trees, and an old blind someone threw up with sticks (probably last season from the looks of it). All of this was immediately in this corridor. This whole land I'm in is hilly forest in upstate NY.

I know there's deer around this area a lot, so I'm going to go back come season. I just don't know about bucks because all of the buck sign seems old. And I'm guessing there's not many or any big bucks around. When would I start seeing new rubs if they are around? Would they already be making them?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”