Camping.. Air Mattress or Cot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Camping.. Air Mattress or Cot?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 am

Which do you prefer. I've used both and woke up soar as heck. Air mattresses seem to deflate over night. Maybe the ones I buy are junk

bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: Camping.. Air Mattress or Cot?

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:59 am

I've use both and prefer a cot. I've had the same issue with air mattresses deflating throughout the night.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:02 am

I like a cot (elevated from ground) with a memory foam pad cut to size. And I like a tent tall enough to stand erect, hang some clothing to dry, move around etc. A vestibule is great for wet boots etc...

having a bit of space makes camping WAY more comfortable. This recommendation is based on the assumption you can drive to your location.

I you are 'packing in', then I prefer a higher-end Thermarest and lay directly on the ground. I like those over thicker blow-up mattresses.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Ditz

Unread postby Ditz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:05 am

I am more of a long distance, ultralight backpacker and alpinist, so cots are not an option. I use sleeping pads whenever I am not hammock camping.

I have found Therm-a-Rest NeoAir inflatable sleeping pads to be excellent. Light weight, durable, and are thick enough for side sleeping.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:09 am

I'm done with leaky air mattresses. I have both a cot and a self inflating pad. I use the pad mostly.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:14 am

I second a good ThermaRest. Much more comfortable and packable for me than a cot. but I'mm 6-6 so not many cots that fit me and don't much care if my feet hang over the end of a ThermaRest. Buy a ThermaRest or comparatively good brand. The cheap ones are just that.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:24 am

I used air mattresses for many years and switched to a cot with sleeping pad this year. Wish I had done it years ago. Much nicer being up off the ground. Bonus is you have extra room to store your gear under the cot to free up tent space.

Cot’s combined with a quality self inflating pad are very comfortable. I use the Cabela’s Outfitter XL cot with the Cabela’s Outfitter sleeping pad.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:38 am

I have used both and prefer a good inflatable thermarest pad. I actually slept on one every night for an entire month in our newborn son's room so that my wife could get some sleep and it was not bad at all.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 am

Air Mattress at the campgrounds in a tent

“Roughing it”, air mattress in a tent.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:24 am

Ive used a hammock for the past 3 years, will never go back to anything else while camping.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:32 am

Aerobed air mattress
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:48 am

Depends on how far you are carrying stuff

- cot and sleeping pad is my choice

- air mattresses do work, just get a good one. Remember that air shrinks as it gets colder - it gets cold at night...
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:54 am

Air thermarest on top of a foam thermarest. If backpacking I ditch one depending on conditions. Can't say Ive ever slept on a cot though.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:28 am

I use a cot myself, it's a cheap one I had bought from our local convenient store, Lake & Trail I believe? I have had it for years and I have nothing to complain about and I use it often. You can buy higher end ones though and I am sure they are more comfortable but the one I have works for me and very easy to set up.

I have owned a few air mattresses in my lifetime and they all seemed to deflate at one point or another after a few uses. Both have their pros and cons, but I prefer a cot any day.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 am

Hatchet Jack wrote:Ive used a hammock for the past 3 years, will never go back to anything else while camping.

Agree with hammock if backpacking or there is no need for space. When I hunt, I like a 6' 4-person tent for myself just for the space of gear and the ability to stand up.

the only knock I have on a hammock, and I've probably spent 150+ nights in one is having to get up in the middle of the night and pee. No doubt the most comfortable sleep, but for camping while hunting I prefer the cot/memory foam and space.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”