High density, early movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CHMJ0914

High density, early movement

Unread postby CHMJ0914 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 pm

I just listened to one of dan's podcast. He mentioned areas that have high deer density, he is noticing earlier movement. It got me thinking about some of the areas I hunt and he hit the nail on the head. A couple of my areas have a high deer density and I definitely notice earlier movement. I was just curious, is it because there is more competition for food maybe? What does everyone think? If I'm jacking someones post sorry jw.

Use your reason, but trust in god.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: High density, early movement

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Higher deer densities I find higher hunter densities (public land). In PA that has a lot to do with our widely varying geography.

Guess that shouldn't be a suprise. Deer go to bed earlier and compete for the best beds and old deer get educated in the busier areas. Where pressure is minimal they act accordingly.

Public in the busy regions is more patchwork also and deer absolutely use that.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:52 pm

I also see this. One property in particular is a honey hole with pretty high dpsm (for around here anyway). I see early movement there often, and even see nice bucks hit the field in daylight in September once in a while.

I attribute it to a “strength in numbers” scenario. If you’ve got does and little bucks out and about, and browsing calmly, the older more wary deer see them and figure the coast is clear. So they move too.

Ever notice how most deer behave when they’re alone? They’re cautious. They often stop at openings and scan for danger before they commit. Deer in a group are much more relaxed.
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Lockdown wrote:I also see this. One property in particular is a honey hole with pretty high dpsm (for around here anyway). I see early movement there often, and even see nice bucks hit the field in daylight in September once in a while.

I attribute it to a “strength in numbers” scenario. If you’ve got does and little bucks out and about, and browsing calmly, the older more wary deer see them and figure the coast is clear. So they move too.

Ever notice how most deer behave when they’re alone? They’re cautious. They often stop at openings and scan for danger before they commit. Deer in a group are much more relaxed.

I agree with you. I see this with my trail camera videos quite frequently. When the bachelor groups come through, they are much less wary. But you get those singular does and singular bucks, they are pretty cautious.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”