Using Headlamps to/from Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Using Headlamps to/from Stand

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:05 am

Just curious to hear everyone else's thoughts on this. Last year I tried not to use a headlamp whenever possible either going to stands on morning hunts, or coming back on evening hunts. The reason for this obviously being that I didn't want a deer to see this, even from afar. If there is not enough light, I try to only use my green or red light options instead of the white. Most of the time I can see enough in the moonlight, even though I might make a little more noise from dried leaves/twigs that I may not see. So I guess my question is if it is worth it to use a light in order to be more quiet, or better to not use a light and possibly make more noise?

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Re: Using Headlamps to/from Stand

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:23 am

I’ll go dark during archery

No damn way will I hunt public land during rifle without the very least a red light on
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:43 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:I’ll go dark during archery

No damn way will I hunt public land during rifle without the very least a red light on

Haha, good point! Most of the places I hunt are public, but archery only. Although I am sure that doesn't stop some from having a rifle in the woods...
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:50 am

Going in on a morning hunt hanging a stand I use as much red light or moon light as possible. There's a point where you make way to much noise stubbling around than light would effect the access. When i hang a stand in the morning I turn on the white light for safety reasons, there's times when i can use moonlight and redlight to get the job done. I'm not afraid to use the white light, but being undetected is the game plan.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:00 am

Being safe is much more important than alerting deer.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:03 am

I use a small red light but I go in way before other do. I also use every dip in the terrain I can. Last 100 yards or so I will go in dark if there is enough moon light.... if not my red light stays at waist level and I keep it pointed at the ground. If I can see hunters walking in using light why would anyone think deer don't see it? Will it spook them every time - probably not - are they aware of it as unnatural and a source of danger - IMHO absolutely.

I agree about not walking into areas during gun season - but when I go in (usually around 400 AM, daylight isn't until 700 or so and there are no other hunters so it is not a big concern for me. I would rather go in 3 hours early then talk a chance of walking past some idiot with a gun or crossbow for that matter.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:04 am

I use a dim light and keep it pointed at the ground. I do not trust others private or public anytime to go in the dark. Safety is more important to me. I usually use terrain features to conceal me from known areas where i expect deer.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks for all of the tips guys, appreciate the concerns about safety.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:21 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:I’ll go dark during archery

X2 white light during our gun seasons. Red/green as needed during archery.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:34 am

I only use a red light when I am coming in for a morning sit. It is less noticeable from a distance. I also only use a hand held light that I hold at waist height so that it is lower than much of the brush around me. I wouldn't use a headlight, seems like a beacon coming through the woods. Definitely would wear one coming out for safety purposes though.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:33 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:26 pm

I walk out a couple hours before day break without one, but to not have one on in the evening is kinda hard with other hunters in mind. Crazy accident that I don't want to be part of the short end. Stay on stand a good while and then back out the side door exit where using a light won't hurt hopefully. Either way, unless you are on a huge chunk of private where nobody else is, it might not be worth it.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm

I seen a headlamp the other day in my local bow shop. That was over 100$. I messed with it and it does the same thing my 9.99 energizer at hdepot does Lol
I keep one in my hand with my fingers covering the light in morning but i go in earlier than most guys And use light coming out even though i come out way past most guys in the evening
Red or green light too setup with
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:12 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:I seen a headlamp the other day in my local bow shop. That was over 100$. I messed with it and it does the same thing my 9.99 energizer at hdepot does Lol
I keep one in my hand with my fingers covering the light in morning but i go in earlier than most guys And use light coming out even though i come out way past most guys in the evening
Red or green light too setup with

I am a flashlight junkie. There is no substitute for a good headlamp/flashlight when you are tracking in the dark.

My current headlamp is a Nitecore HC90. It is on the heavy side but it gives me the Red/Green/Blue low output led lighting for going in or out and the white light will put out a lot of white light that is infinitely adjustable.

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc90

The Femix HL-50 is a great little light that I use around the house. It is so light that you hardly know that it is there.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl50-led-headlamp/

Good lithium batteries and a battery charger are a must.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Yes I always use a light unless the moon is out and bright and I can see ok. Even then it’s easy to trip on something or step on something loud. Not worth it to me. I can’t see in the dark

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”