Newbie bachelor group question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNDawg44

Newbie bachelor group question

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:50 pm

Fellas, I apologize if this has been asked before, I used the search function but couldn’t come up with anything.

Long story short: gained access to a private piece of farm ground the first week of August. We had a velvet hunt the 3rd week of August so didn’t look for beds, but glassed the bean fields instead.

My question is this: A bachelor group of 5 bucks (2 shooters, 1 stud) used the same bean field every afternoon I glassed and the 2 i hunted, entering the field at its lowest spot every time. They came out of a thick isolated woodlot that I assume is where they are bedding. As this bachelor group breaks up, in yalls experience will the dominant buck continue to bed in the same area and push the smaller ones out? Or will their patterns completely change? There are only 3 blocks of timber on this side of the property.

I can post an aerial of the place if that would help.

Motivated
500 Club

Re: Newbie bachelor group question

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:04 pm

In my experience the pattern changes as the season progresses. Beans turn yellow and stop getting hit in daylight. Deer turn to mast food sources as they drop and forbes, and start sticking to heavier cover as hunting pressure increases. So if you haven't already seen this bean field dry up for deer activity you may see it soon. If this block of timber does not offer thick, secure, unpressured bedding then it may be best in the early season and the late, late season when the deer return to the dry beans.

As far as Bachelor groups splitting up, I have seen some deer completely move off and others stick around but just give each other more space. I do believe the dominant buck we'll take the best bedding, and everybody else just has to fend for themselves.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:35 am

Every year I have bachelor groups with some great bucks and every year they split up and I lose a few of them. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why some go and some stay. It sucks to watch a stud all Summer and one day he just vanishes but it is what it is.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:04 am

Ya it really might depend on the individual deer and how well they play with others. I have seen bachelor groups in early to mid oct too, no clue what they were doing but I wonder if they were together that whole time or if they broke up early and got back together later in the fall for some reason. Just keep up the scouting and they will tell you what is up when the time comes to hunt.
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:08 am

Motivated wrote:In my experience the pattern changes as the season progresses. Beans turn yellow and stop getting hit in daylight. Deer turn to mast food sources as they drop and forbes, and start sticking to heavier cover as hunting pressure increases. So if you haven't already seen this bean field dry up for deer activity you may see it soon. If this block of timber does not offer thick, secure, unpressured bedding then it may be best in the early season and the late, late season when the deer return to the dry beans.

As far as Bachelor groups splitting up, I have seen some deer completely move off and others stick around but just give each other more space. I do believe the dominant buck we'll take the best bedding, and everybody else just has to fend for themselves.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful.

Thank you motivated, that’s definitely helpful. All of the blocks are definitely thick enough to be bedding, and unpressured so far as well. The beans have already started yellowing so imagine they’re done with them for a bit already. Probably will try some observation sits on the edges over acorns to try to figure out if the big two are still using the same block before I try to make my move. Thank you again for the help.
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:10 am

headgear wrote:Ya it really might depend on the individual deer and how well they play with others. I have seen bachelor groups in early to mid oct too, no clue what they were doing but I wonder if they were together that whole time or if they broke up early and got back together later in the fall for some reason. Just keep up the scouting and they will tell you what is up when the time comes to hunt.

That makes sense. Will do headgear I appreciate it.
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:10 am

headgear wrote:Ya it really might depend on the individual deer and how well they play with others. I have seen bachelor groups in early to mid oct too, no clue what they were doing but I wonder if they were together that whole time or if they broke up early and got back together later in the fall for some reason. Just keep up the scouting and they will tell you what is up when the time comes to hunt.

That makes sense. Will do headgear I appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”