Flooded marshes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Flooded marshes

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Man with all this rain im afraid all my best spots are gonna b flooded out. Anyone else have this issue?

run&gunBOB

Re: Flooded marshes

Unread postby run&gunBOB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Between my bow needing an emergency restringing and a TON of rain, yeah im nervous!
All good things come to those who shoot straight.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Yea, its a wet year down here as well! I try to scout harder during wet years as I feel like it concentrates the deer more. I also think that it pays off in the future as you will know where the high ground is located. I also like hearing them come through the water!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Before all this rain, I was really excited for a "dry" season. Less mosquito's, and shallower water in some of my deep spots. But, oh well. I'll be out there no matter what the conditions anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:51 pm

The salt marshe beds i hunt are probably gonna be vacated the weeks of full moon high tides.
I just thought of this as i read this thread
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:04 pm

I’ve been second guessing the several stand locations I have in mind due to the beds being under water, guess I’ll find out opening day!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:31 pm

In case you guys forgot marshes are supposed to be wet and nasty. ;) Been waiting for normal water levels for about 10 years now. Bring it on. 8-)

I suspect I will be all by myself in most of my best deep water spots and hunting pressure will be all but eliminated. Bucks aren’t afraid of water only hunters are. This is why scouting during high water years is so important. If anything use this as a learning season so you can apply it to future seasons with similar water levels. Nice thing about high water is it really concentrates the bedding to specific high spots. Find them and it gets so much easier. Very dry years in marshes are very tough. Bucks can bet just about anywhere and are very tough to locate much less pattern. Add in hunting pressure from guys walking just about anywhere and it’s a recipe for a tough season. I’ll take a wet season any day.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:59 pm

Im not afraid of walking thru water but some of my better bed spots will b under water
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Dewey wrote:In case you guys forgot marshes are supposed to be wet and nasty. ;) Been waiting for normal water levels for about 10 years now. Bring it on. 8-)

I suspect I will be all by myself in most of my best deep water spots and hunting pressure will be all but eliminated. Bucks aren’t afraid of water only hunters are. This is why scouting during high water years is so important. If anything use this as a learning season so you can apply it to future seasons with similar water levels. Nice thing about high water is it really concentrates the bedding to specific high spots. Find them and it gets so much easier. Very dry years in marshes are very tough. Bucks can bet just about anywhere and are very tough to locate much less pattern. Add in hunting pressure from guys walking just about anywhere and it’s a recipe for a tough season. I’ll take a wet season any day.

Good point Dewey and so true. Just gotta stay the course stick too the game plan
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:30 am

The flood water can be good and bad. It can limit access to some of your best spots but it can also force deer into the few areas that don't flood and make it easier to pin them down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”