Placing cell cameras over Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Natenlsn2

Placing cell cameras over Beds

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Now that cell cameras are a big craze, a guy could place his cell cam right over the buck bed and when you get the intell that day he is there that day then you could go into a spot knowing for certain the buck is already bedded there. Would you do this/has anyone tried this?

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Placing cell cameras over Beds

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Nope...I would never do that.

Not really what I would consider hunting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm

tgreeno wrote:Nope...I would never do that.

Not really what I would consider hunting.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Heck NO !!! It's not fair chase.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:12 am

No interest to me at all.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:36 am

That sounds about what I was thinking the response would be, sure would take away a lot of the challenge and mystery of hunting!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:37 pm

contemplating this.
what would be fair chase? Is using this intel to set up on a buck, regardless where the camera is, fair chase? Isnt getting real time intel the whole purpose of this type of camera? If a shooter showed up on the camera would you give the deer a set amount of time to get away? If you have limited quality bedding and a buck shows up at a food source you pretty much know where he is. Is hunting that bed fair chase?
I know we all draw our own lines so at what point is it not fair? What, in your opinion, is fair?

If I was to use one of these cameras I would hunt a buck if he showed up. That is the whole idea of it. If I didnt feel it was fair chase I wouldnt use one.

I know someone is going to say they use the camera so they dont have to leave scent. But what good is getting a picture if you are not going to use the info?
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Sounds easy and like cheating but never heard of it being pulled off. I dont think it would work well in practice.

I wouldn't use them that way myself even uf it worked but I'd bet it might be as hard executing that as any other tactic lol
Make It Happen
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:34 pm

interesting. the guys who would bash this prolly have "normal" trail cameras out themselves. But this would be "cheating" . I wouldnt judge you either way
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:45 pm

I don’t use cell cams. You would still have to sneak in there, be quiet, pick the right tree,and play the wind right. Wouldn’t be a guarantee. Last year I shot one of my bucks in the evening after seeing buck activity near a different bedding area that morning. Made my move a midday. Almost shot another doing the same. It was real time info the same a cell cam would give.I think Dan had one on cell cam a few mornings last fall. He went in to get him and didn’t. The cameras were Mario’s I believe
Last edited by Hawthorne on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:49 pm

I'm not sure about the laws in your state but here's what New Hampshire says.

"Un Lawful to Use live-action game cameras while attempting to locate, surveil, aid, or assist in taking or take any game animal or furbearing animal during the same calendar day while the season is open (cameras that send an electronic message or picture to a handheld device or computer when sensors are triggered by wildlife)."
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:05 pm

In my experience it is not easy to put all the pieces together for a successful bed hunt. The camera ( if it is deployed correctly) would take care of the “ when” part of the equation but it is still going to be a long way from a slam dunk.
It is not a tactic I am interested in but it is going to take a certain level of knowledge/skill to pull it off.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:59 pm

magicman54494 wrote:contemplating this.
what would be fair chase? Is using this intel to set up on a buck, regardless where the camera is, fair chase? Isnt getting real time intel the whole purpose of this type of camera? If a shooter showed up on the camera would you give the deer a set amount of time to get away? If you have limited quality bedding and a buck shows up at a food source you pretty much know where he is. Is hunting that bed fair chase?
I know we all draw our own lines so at what point is it not fair? What, in your opinion, is fair?

If I was to use one of these cameras I would hunt a buck if he showed up. That is the whole idea of it. If I didnt feel it was fair chase I wouldnt use one.

I know someone is going to say they use the camera so they dont have to leave scent. But what good is getting a picture if you are not going to use the info?

I'm the one that brought up the fair chase. I don't use any cameras, not legal, can't shine, not legal, and can't bait or use minerals, not legal, on the public land that I hunt. And if all this was legal I would not do it, I drew the line. I hunt them where they live and I rely on experience, terrain, sign, previous sightings, food sources to figure out what trail, bedding and tree or ground setup that will give me the best chance. It's not always about the kill, it's my skills versus their defenses. But if it is legal method go for it. I don't care how anyone hunts and not suggesting a hunter do as I do. The OP ask a question and I gave my answer. Been at this for 57 years and have done well and can't wait for the next encounter with a mature buck, kill or not.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Hooks1 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:contemplating this.

I'm the one that brought up the fair chase. I don't use any cameras, not legal, can't shine, not legal, and can't bait or use minerals, not legal, on the public land that I hunt. And if all this was legal I would not do it, I drew the line. I hunt them where they live and I rely on experience, terrain, sign, previous sightings, food sources to figure out what trail, bedding and tree or ground setup that will give me the best chance. It's not always about the kill, it's my skills versus their defenses. But if it is legal method go for it. I don't care how anyone hunts and not suggesting a hunter do as I do. The OP ask a question and I gave my answer. Been at this for 57 years and have done well and can't wait for the next encounter with a mature buck, kill or not.

I wasnt aiming my comments/questions at anyone in particular. I was just thinking out loud. There is no right or wrong answer IMO. My opinion is if I chose to use the camera, I would use the info to make a kill or at least try. lol.
I dont know if I would use the camera. we each have to chose the level of difficulty and that is what I like about hunting.
I killed one good buck over bait and I just wasnt excited about it so I dont bait. If someone else baits and enjoys that form of hunting then Im happy for him.
chase

Unread postby chase » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:02 am

My daughters have given me 3 trail cameras. I appreciate them, but there for the family to enjoy the pictures around the cabin and home, of what is around...... for me a trail camera is a waste of time, for a mobile hunter, at least they are for me..... I have place one or two in remote areas, that I was passin thru, that I might come back to in a month, but other than that, when I am in the woods, I am there to hunt, not to check cameras

I also like the surprise anticipation, of what may show up, based on my own scouting, and sign reading etc.

To be truthful I am an old guy, so maybe I live in another world ha ha

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”