New WI CWD Transport Regs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

New WI CWD Transport Regs

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:13 am

I'm still trying to figure this out a little, but sounds like you can't take a deer out of a CWD County, and some kind of 72 hour rule for taxi/processor. Bones need to stay in the CO.

Anyone with a clear link to what exactly the deal is? I'm having a hard time finding details.

Would make public land kills out of your County tricky. Wonder if this may change the pack out rules, can we leave bones on public now? Lots to figure out.

If I kill a buck in WI on an evening hunt and I live in IL, IL regs not withstanding, what do I do????

Octang
500 Club

Re: New WI CWD Transport Regs

Unread postby Octang » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:48 am

You are right, there is a lot of clarification that needs to be done.

Here is the article I posted on the HB fb page: http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Emergency-DNR-rule-limits-deer-transportation-in-CWD-affected-counties-491268481.html

Here is the DNR webpage on the topic: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/carcassmovement.html
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 am

Octang wrote:You are right, there is a lot of clarification that needs to be done.

Here is the article I posted on the HB fb page: http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Emergency-DNR-rule-limits-deer-transportation-in-CWD-affected-counties-491268481.html

Here is the DNR webpage on the topic: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/carcassmovement.html

Those were the first two things looked at and came away really confused from. Honestly, my angle is just trying to see if this leaves me better positioned to do a gutless method field treatment and pack out of a marsh or not. Seems that would align well with this goal, and the ability to leave bones and hide would make packing a buck out of a marsh WAY easier. One trip in a pack for most deer!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:55 am

Kraftd wrote:
Octang wrote:You are right, there is a lot of clarification that needs to be done.

Those were the first two things looked at and came away really confused from. Honestly, my angle is just trying to see if this leaves me better positioned to do a gutless method field treatment and pack out of a marsh or not. Seems that would align well with this goal, and the ability to leave bones and hide would make packing a buck out of a marsh WAY easier. One trip in a pack for most deer!

that still leaves the problem of what to do with the skull. what if you just want to do a skull mount yourself or just saw the antlers off and mount then on a plaque. this will no longer be an option. are they going to have dumpsters where we can dispose of the bones? can i bring the deer home, cut it up, drive back and dump the bones? How about we find out who came up with this stupid rule and dump every deer carcass right on their front lawn? maybe we should just kill every damn deer in the entire state and double the price of the turkey tags? do turkeys get CWD? Will the madness ever stop?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:56 am

Can I transport a kill from one CWD county to another CWD county? :think:
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:05 am

Nevermind, I found the answer and it's Yes.

Considering the amount of counties where CWD has been found positive in a deer and also adjacent counties, this rule shouldn't really affect many people anyway since nearly the whole state is shaded on the CWD map.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:33 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Can I transport a kill from one CWD county to another CWD county? :think:

I wondered the same thing. There is only one kind of CWD isnt there? So if its already there then why not?
Otherwise its like wearing a condom after she is pregnant.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 am

magicman54494 wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Can I transport a kill from one CWD county to another CWD county? :think:

I wondered the same thing. There is only one kind of CWD isnt there? So if its already there then why not?
Otherwise its like wearing a condom after she is pregnant.

I found the answer and it is yes. See my post above. ;)
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 am

These Wi regs are like the Bible . So many different ways to interpret :roll:
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Same thing is happening in Michigan this fall. Expanded CWD zone but no more check stations than before. I have a feeling a lot of guys will just throw it in the truck and take it home, hoping that they don't get stopped. The harder the DNR makes it for people, the less people will comply with their rules.
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Can I transport through 3 cwd counties?
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:18 am

Would someone mind sprinkling a little CWD around outagamie county so I can bring my carcass back home?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:39 am

john1984 wrote:These Wi regs are like the Bible . So many different ways to interpret :roll:

John 19:84 :lol:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:44 am

Also be aware that you can not bring a deer in from another sate or providence if they (that state) have cwd. There is a list of these on the DNR site. Correction- you can bring then in if you follow the 72 hr guidelines, It looks like this goes for any county in the state, cwd or not.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 am

I just talked to a DNR rep. about the new cwd law.
This is what they told me.
First, they told me that they are trying to figure out the specifics so all the details are not available. :lol: :cry: :doh: :whistle: :think:
You CANNOT move a deer from one CWD area to another CWD area without following all the new handling and disposal rules. In other words you cannot process your own deer or even do your own euro unless you can dump the spine and head before you transport or figure out how to remove all brain matter from the skull before transport.
You CAN debone on STATE land or private land and leave the remains. You MIGHT be able to do this on Fed. or county land but you must call to find out what their rules are.
Currently, the DNR is not planning any disposal sites or containers. They don't seem to care that they are painting us into a corner. Not their problem - seems to be their stance at this time. We can take the bones to a landfill but we all know how much of a logistics problem that will be. I know that my local landfill site is closed to anyone not residing there and it has limited hours.
IF YOU TRANSPORT YOUR KILL TO STATE LAND TO DEBONE IT YOU ARE LITTERING AND MAY BE FINED! You must kill it there to debone it there.
They said they were working on the details of this new law and will release the info to the public when they get it figured out. the person I talked to was uninformed and needed to put me on hold multiple times while they searched for answers. This person admitted that they really haven't considered the details and are trying to figure it out as they go along.

All I can say is good luck to everyone who hunts outside of their home county and wants to process their own deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”