Hunting in the extreme heat

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting in the extreme heat

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Louisiana is hot in October. 80's & 90's. Mosquitoes suck! Thermacell is a life saver

"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Our season doesn't start until October here in Texas, and we could easily have mid 90's two weeks into the season.
I agree with the mesh camo suit, permethrin, and thermacell... aside from that, try to set up in the shade, and stay hydrated. If the temps aren't abnormal in comparison to your typical highs, I would be out in it hunting. If it is a spike in temp above and beyond your average high for that time of year, maybe skip it.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:19 am

I've given up hunting Louisiana early season. The deer movement is minimal, snakes and gators are all over, everything is too thick to get around.

I did do it for awhile but never saw deer and just got burnt out early. My trail cams show very little daytime activity for good bucks. To just kill a deer its more doable it's just not for me anymore
Make It Happen
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:04 am

I opt to spend time with family rather than fumble around in hot weather. I've never enjoyed doing much of anything in the heat other than drinking cold beers. I think I'm just getting old.... or wise?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 am

I am an ANTI heat person. Anything over 70 feels way too hot for me. I love the 30’s and 40’s. That being said, I’ve never understood when guys tell me it’s “too hot to hunt” I just don’t get it. If I think it can happen, I don’t care if it’s 100 degrees I’m going!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:29 am

I wear short sleeves and really light clothes. Take many breaks walking in & setting up. try to find a shady spot, and SUCK IT UP 8-)

Dumping cold water over my head, hat & shirt right before I leave the truck definitely helps!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 am

Bowfisher wrote:I am an ANTI heat person. Anything over 70 feels way too hot for me. I love the 30’s and 40’s. That being said, I’ve never understood when guys tell me it’s “too hot to hunt” I just don’t get it. If I think it can happen, I don’t care if it’s 100 degrees I’m going!

Exactly how i feel. Deer gotta eat. And drink.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:04 am

I try to go slower than normal. Try to stay in the shadows. A Thermacell and hyrdration bladder are a must for me. I also like to hunt close to waterholes surrounded by thick cover, when its really hot. I see a noticeable increase in deer movement with the Barometric pressure around 30.00 and a 10* drop in temp, even when it remains unseasonably hot.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:09 am

The heat doesn’t stop the deer it just stops the hunters. T shirt and cargo shorts underneath a mesh leafy suit. If I’m not sitting over water the first few weeks of the season I bumped my head. I heard we got like 8-9 inches of rain in about three hours yesterday so hopefully that didn’t fill up the ditches. But isolated water sources have always come through for me. But the sweat and bugs, heat and humidity are all part of hunting the Eatern shore. It may suck but you either find a way to deal with it if you don’t hunt. Now get after it!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:08 am

To you guys hunting over water,

Just exactly how sparse does wanted have to be for this to be an effective method? Here I hunt there is a water source 200 yards in any direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”