Secondary bedding.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Secondary bedding.

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:50 pm

dan wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
dan wrote:
ZTachick wrote:All makes sense. But obviously you guys re hunt these spots in the future seasons right?

Yea, why wouldn't we? Almist every good bedding area has multiple big bucks that use it. So even if one deer would not return or gets killed, I would still hunt there. Some of my best primary bedding areas have produced over a dozen big bucks over the years.

I have one bed i hunt thats held the biggest buck on a section of public for last 6 years. its a 10 foot circle of high ground in a 2 acre cattail swamp that is off too the side of all the other buck bedding in a larger swamp. well last year i hunted that bed several times and never saw a thing there were not even tracks in the area. well after the season i went in to investigate and found that a blow down tree top fell in the bed. i spent a half hour cutting the dead top apart and dragging it away. well within a month i started getting pics of bucks on the exit trail again. big buck beds are so consistent its mind boggling sometimes if something suddenly stops working its work investigating.

On Daves farm we have buck bedding in the CRP field that is in the same spot every year. For a few years Daves mom decided to cut that field and it stopped all bedding cause she kept it like a lawn... She stopped, weeds grew back, and even though the deer that originally bedded there were longer alive, beds showed up in the exact same spots... Most people don't realize they pick there spots very carefully and there are exact reasons why they bed in a spot. The same reason that brought your target buck there, will bring other target bucks there.

I remember these beds when i was with you and I remember u telling about when daves mom cut it

I remember you saying they had wind, and sight advantages there and as the sun set thermals would sink too these spots.
I remember also looking at secondary beds that you said they started using down in the little cat tail marsh on one side of the farm when the fields were cut
Its the one we did the video on how big bucks bed are and how they shift with different winds.
It was cool how you showed me how they just relocate too different spots in the same areas but also always kept that wind. Or thermal and sight sound advantage anywhere they relocate too. Also kept tabs on humans
Wherever they bed there is a security advantage of some sort. This is what you showed me and is all i think about now when i look at new areas. Cause it just makes total sense too me. After you explained and showed examples of this. A light bulb. Oh ok moment we had lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”