Farm Country Bedding Example

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SHoff10

Farm Country Bedding Example

Unread postby SHoff10 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:52 am

Okay. So I just recently finished watching Farm Country Bedding for the first time. Again, a very informative video from Dan!! I still feel like there isn't very much content on the beast in regards to farm bedding so I wanted to post an example to see if I am on the right path. Please look at the photo below and let me know if I am on the right path. This is a farm that I have never stepped foot on, but will be walking it very soon. The photo has a legend in itself and the white lines mark the property lines that I will have access to. The blue lines mark a couple drainage ditches. The prevailing wind is almost always out of the SW so that is what I assumed when marking up this photo. These are my best educated guesses based on my current knowledge along with information from the Farm Country Bedding DVD. Please share your thoughts!! Again, I know boots on the ground will tell me the most, but I thought double checking my cyber scouting skills would be beneficial as well.

“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
SD_Bowhunter

Re: Farm Country Bedding Example

Unread postby SD_Bowhunter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:26 am

I think the spots you have identified are a good place to start. I would definitely pay special attention to the skinny strips of tree in between the fields. I like the areas you identified along the creek in the SW corner. Allows them to see out in front of them and have a creek at their back as well as the wind. I added one area behind the house which I circled in yellow. Not sure if they spots gets pressured but it it looks like it could be a spot that a buck would use to monitor the comings/goings of hunter who access the property. The last spot that I really liked was the small finger that runs north south from the far east block of timber. I know you can scout this/hunt since its not within the area you have permission, but I would look to see if there are any rubs.scrapes near the entry to that as a buck might be bedding at the tip of the finger.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am

I don't comment on farm country too often but I did just watch farm bedding so what the heck. I like your marks, that whole ditch area is worth a look. The two spots that stick out to me are that area you marked up in the NW corner and something about that ditch right next to the road seems like it might be a great overlooked spot.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:51 pm

I like your stand sites for pre-rut/rut. In the first 3 weeks of October I’d want to know where the neighbors are hunting and accessing, and what the food sources are. If it’s standing corn, that’s gonna give cover and change bedding. Most of the field edge bedding is setup to watch access. They’re doing that because the history in the area has taught them to.

Even if the predominant wind is SW, in farm country, that doesn’t always mean a buck will bed with the wind exactly to his back. If there’s never a direct threat behind him he might take a SW crosswind across the back to be able to see access. Not ideal for the buck, but bedding is more limited here than hill country. In my experience it’s more about pressure. Jumped a bruiser in August last year in this scenario scouting with my wife and daughter. We didn’t see each other until I was within 20 yards. When I jumped him it made perfect sense- using thermals>wind but more so watching common access.

For SW, I like the small point to the 10 o’clock of your NW corner; on the neighbor’s property. You’d need to bump the doe bedding on a SW wind to be close enough for a non rut sit.

I hunt a lot of Ohio public that has ag or borders it. One of the biggest things I’ve learned is looking within a crow’s mile of your area to figure out how a buck would travel and how it ties in to where you can hunt, and for what period of the season. I’d try to glass those neighboring fields from the road. On private like this, who cares if they see you glassing as long as you have exclusive rights.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”