The mental game

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: The mental game

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:56 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I think it often occurs that people see other people living well and think they have it made or got lucky when it fact most people that are able to live well have worked extremely hard to get there but they don’t often talk about the work or struggle part of it.

This is similar to hunters that shoot above average deer or fisherman having success in Fishing tournaments. They got there through hard work and have to work hard to stay there. It’s one of the things I love about the hunting/fishing, by and large, your result is dependent solely on your attitude and what you put into it.

Except that the vast majority of great fisherman never enter a tournament, nor do the vast majority of great hunters treat hunting like a weenie measuring contest. It takes a type to do that kinda stuff, I suppose. I guess that's where I am kinda lost in this train of thought. Success to me is having fun and learning, not measurements and competition. This whole pep talk seems to conflate success with motivations in hunting I cannot empathize with.

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Good stuff Magic!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:25 pm

elk yinzer wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:I think it often occurs that people see other people living well and think they have it made or got lucky when it fact most people that are able to live well have worked extremely hard to get there but they don’t often talk about the work or struggle part of it.

This is similar to hunters that shoot above average deer or fisherman having success in Fishing tournaments. They got there through hard work and have to work hard to stay there. It’s one of the things I love about the hunting/fishing, by and large, your result is dependent solely on your attitude and what you put into it.

Except that the vast majority of great fisherman never enter a tournament, nor do the vast majority of great hunters treat hunting like a weenie measuring contest. It takes a type to do that kinda stuff, I suppose. I guess that's where I am kinda lost in this train of thought. Success to me is having fun and learning, not measurements and competition. This whole pep talk seems to conflate success with motivations in hunting I cannot empathize with.

interesting reaction. actually, the same reaction you had earlier in this thread. :think:
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:The mental game and road blocks use to really drag me down my first handful of seasons. Believe having some success removes a lot of the negativity. I try to make it through the season with a steady beat and not get to high or to low. It's possibly due to my stubbornness, but after a week straight of all day sits not seeing nothing I'm still excited for the next. Thinking this is gonna be the day.

In terms of hunting, I feel positivity is gained through good hard scouting. Those years I was negative I was doing more hoping than hunting. Easy to get down when your hopes are going unanswered

I think an overwhelming number of us have been “there”. Knowledge and understanding are very powerful tools. Most of us need a little direction to right the course on our way to self sustainment as successful big buck killers. No surprise that most of the best threads you find here are relatable to this kind of stuff.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Timely post!

I recently purchased magicman' s secrets for 10 easy payments on $99.99! I'm sure glad I did :dance: :dance:

My wife woke me up this morning, at an ungodly hour, informing me the basement was flooded and we had a leak in the roof after a night of heavy rain and high winds.

Prior to Magic ' s program I would have kicked the dogs and cursed like a sailor, but instead I changed my perception and decided this was a wonderful opportunity for personal growth!

After a few hours of pulling stuff out of the wet basement and using a shop-vac and push broom I had the standing water out....all with a super duper attitude :dance:

I made my first trip to the hardware store to buy an extra fan to help the drying process in the basement.

A light fixture in the laundry room was dripping water, so I climbed up into the attic looking for the source of the leak. I had to dig through 16 to 20 inches of itchy insulation trying to find the light all while balancing on a rafter in a hot stuffy attic. I found the light and noticed pooling water on the vapor barrier. A few feet from the light, the sewer vent pipe was wet to the touch. I had found the leak! Thanks magic!! :clap:

I climbed onto the roof and saw the rubber boot around the sewer pipe was rotted and not making a tight seal around the pipe. Awesome ! :dance:

I made a second trip to the local hardware store planning to buy and replace just the rubber boot. A helpful employee informed me they didn't have just the rubber boot and that the rubber part was integrated into the flashing, which means I would have to be prying up the shingles to install it. More personal growth! :dance: :dance:

I didn't completely believe him, so I drove to a big box store 10 miles away to purchase just the rubber boot...they didn't have such a thing. Looks like I'm prying up shingles to replace the flashing too! YEAH!!! :dance:

I get the shingles up and the flashing installed and everything nailed back into place. SWEET!

I had a tube of Black Jack I had been saving for just this sort of thing. I clip the end and proceed to squeeze and squeeze and squeeze. Nothing comes out. DRAT! Caulk gun appears to be broken. Not to worry I have a spare I bought a few months ago, because I couldn't find the caulk gun that was currently in my hand.

I search and search and search for my spare caulk gun and head back to the hardware store to buy another one. I get back home, put the tube in the gun and squeeze and squeeze and squeeze...nothing comes out! HA HA HA! :lol:

Apparently 10 year old black jack in an unopened tube doesn't like to get squeezed out . With a smile on my face, a spring in my step and whistling a happy tune I head back to the hardware store to buy a fresh tube to complete the job.

Thank you magicman! :clap: :clap:

Your program helped me complete the home repairs with a smile on my face and joy in my heart....all because I changed my perception. :dance: :dance:

True story.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Timely post!

I recently purchased magicman' s secrets for 10 easy payments on $99.99! I'm sure glad I did :dance: :dance:

My wife woke me up this morning, at an ungodly hour, informing me the basement was flooded and we had a leak in the roof after a night of heavy rain and high winds.

Prior to Magic ' s program I would have kicked the dogs and cursed like a sailor, but instead I changed my perception and decided this was a wonderful opportunity for personal growth!

After a few hours of pulling stuff out of the wet basement and using a shop-vac and push broom I had the standing water out....all with a super duper attitude :dance:

I made my first trip to the hardware store to buy an extra fan to help the drying process in the basement.

A light fixture in the laundry room was dripping water, so I climbed up into the attic looking for the source of the leak. I had to dig through 16 to 20 inches of itchy insulation trying to find the light all while balancing on a rafter in a hot stuffy attic. I found the light and noticed pooling water on the vapor barrier. A few feet from the light, the sewer vent pipe was wet to the touch. I had found the leak! Thanks magic!! :clap:

I climbed onto the roof and saw the rubber boot around the sewer pipe was rotted and not making a tight seal around the pipe. Awesome ! :dance:

I made a second trip to the local hardware store planning to buy and replace just the rubber boot. A helpful employee informed me they didn't have just the rubber boot and that the rubber part was integrated into the flashing, which means I would have to be prying up the shingles to install it. More personal growth! :dance: :dance:

I didn't completely believe him, so I drove to a big box store 10 miles away to purchase just the rubber boot...they didn't have such a thing. Looks like I'm prying up shingles to replace the flashing too! YEAH!!! :dance:

I get the shingles up and the flashing installed and everything nailed back into place. SWEET!

I had a tube of Black Jack I had been saving for just this sort of thing. I clip the end and proceed to squeeze and squeeze and squeeze. Nothing comes out. DRAT! Caulk gun appears to be broken. Not to worry I have a spare I bought a few months ago, because I couldn't find the caulk gun that was currently in my hand.

I search and search and search for my spare caulk gun and head back to the hardware store to buy another one. I get back home, put the tube in the gun and squeeze and squeeze and squeeze...nothing comes out! HA HA HA! :lol:

Apparently 10 year old black jack in an unopened tube doesn't like to get squeezed out . With a smile on my face, a spring in my step and whistling a happy tune I head back to the hardware store to buy a fresh tube to complete the job.

Thank you magicman! :clap: :clap:

Your program helped me complete the home repairs with a smile on my face and joy in my heart....all because I changed my perception. :dance: :dance:

True story.

If you would have called the 800 help line that is included in the program I could have told you about the flashing and blackjack.

This reminds me of the time my washing machine fill valve stuck open and turned my house into a swimming pool.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:04 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:I'm a pessimist by natureand your words ring very true for me Magic. I will admit that I'm vulnerable to being tempted to give up when things get tough. I can only go so many hunts in a row not seeing a single deer before I have to have a little conversation with myself to stay motivated. I'm going to bookmark this thread and re-read several times throughout the season.

Thanks for the great reminder.

no, you are a pessimist by programming. You can choose to change that programming by using the above info.
Do you want to be a pessimist? If not, what do you want to be?
HOW WE REACT IS NOT SET IN STONE.

Let me revise. Due to events beyond my controlin my past, I used to program myself for pessimism. Thank you for the reminder to continue programming myself for optimism :clap:

I don't mean to pick on you, just giving food for thought , but all events are beyond our control. but OUR REACTIONS TO EVENTS ARE COMPLETELY UNDER OUR CONTROL and this is the secret to success. I know what you are saying but that fact is important enough that I wanted to point it out. Please dont take offense.

No offense taken at all, and your point is well received. I can see how reading that and not being able to see my body language it might look to ooze sarcasm. But I said it with earnest. The "beyond my control" thing is something I say as a means to forgiving myself my pessimism.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:23 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
Bigburner wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
Bigburner wrote:Thanks Dr. Frued. Definitely a good poop read and I here what your saying 100%. Success is not for the weak minded. To be a good hunter or observer of things or a leader is to be stoic. You have to expect a degree of discomfort and suffering and power through and adapt and move on from your previous choice. I live by very much a Buddhist philosophy. That life is suffering and that enlightenment doesn’t come without it.Getting lucky is cool but it’s not a reality and I deal in truth. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you but the key is to remain hungry. That’s why I enjoy the like minded company I come across here. A bunch of hungry Sonsabitches.

I always believed that the suffering was due to the fact that you are not learning the lesson. suffering ends when you figure it out.

Yeah that’s the whole enlightenment part. I’m not going to go around getting hammered on without learning something from it.

A buddhist monk walks up to a hotdog vender and says " make me one with everything"

The monk takes his hot dog and asks for the change.

The hot dog vendor refuses and says, "Change must come from within."
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:48 am

elk yinzer wrote:

I think these two thoughts actually go hand in hand with the whole idea behind the post. It's true that hard work breeds success, but priorities or desires can affect what gets the work. I like to think I'm a pretty good fisherman, usually end up doing as well or better than most of the folks I go with a the same time. Using the context of tournament fishing, that takes a ton of dedication and making it a priority in your life over other things. There is also access. I've made the choice not to live by Green Bay for instance, so with a limitation on the time I can spend out there when compared to someone who lives much closer, it would be a mistake to think I could develop the kind of skill and associated success rate of someone who dedicates the time to doing those things. Neither of those cases matter to me based upon the priorities I have established for myself.

Where the two thoughts intersect with Magic's thought, for me anyways, is how I react to things. In the two cases above, I could be jealous or react like mh says just passing off other people's success as luck or proximity. I don't do that, I assess my situation, and the decisions I made and remain confident that if I choose to change my priorities I could accomplish those things most likely, but stay positive in the priorities I have established for myself. Hunting is the same way. I don't get jealous of or dismiss guys who have more success than I do, I try and listen and learn from them and then assess what I can use to make myself a better hunter, which is a goal and priority I have set for myself. I don't have a decade of beast scouting under my belt or the time at the moment to put 100 miles of spring scouting on. I could get upset when I don't kill a mature public land buck, or I could assess the reality of my situation and like EY said, appreciate my time in the woods, focus on continuing to learn, and know I'm building towards that goal. The alternative would be to prioritize scouting above work and family, and likely not enjoy the situation I put myself in.

Short answer for me is, what allows me to avoid frustration and the giving up attitude is maintaining a realistic view of my situation, while also striving to grow and become better in the context of what my goals are.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:02 am

I think Kraftd conveyed what I was getting at well.

Elk hunting is the same thing and an easy example. I am happier than a pig in crap to be out West elk hunting. Is climbing 2,500' up a deadfall-choked mountain in the predawn every morning for a week fun, in that moment? No, not really, but it is what it is and part of the overall experience of elk hunting. I am there to elk hunt; there will be good and bad, tribulations and jubilation. I am just chasing that high of trying to run an arrow through a bugling bull 15 yards away, and I know there will be some unpleasantries to get there.

I guess that's where the OP was kind of lost on me. Not necessarily understanding why one would need reprogramming in the first place. Yes, I am there to fill a tag obviously, but I am enjoying hunting, and hunting how I know I need to hunt to fill a tag. No jealousy, no comparison, it's just me and the elk. Hunting. I won't quit because the whole experience is fun. If it ceased being fun, why am I still doing it? If I got burned out and wanted to sleep in one morning, why wouldn't I? By switching things up and staying fresh, maybe even better than grinding yourself to the bone and ending up with a new hobby in five years.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:18 am

elk yinzer wrote:I think Kraftd conveyed what I was getting at well.

Elk hunting is the same thing and an easy example. I am happier than a pig in crap to be out West elk hunting. Is climbing 2,500' up a deadfall-choked mountain in the predawn every morning for a week fun, in that moment? No, not really, but it is what it is and part of the overall experience of elk hunting. I am there to elk hunt; there will be good and bad, tribulations and jubilation. I am just chasing that high of trying to run an arrow through a bugling bull 15 yards away, and I know there will be some unpleasantries to get there.

I guess that's where the OP was kind of lost on me. Not necessarily understanding why one would need reprogramming in the first place. Yes, I am there to fill a tag obviously, but I am enjoying hunting, and hunting how I know I need to hunt to fill a tag. No jealousy, no comparison, it's just me and the elk. Hunting. I won't quit because the whole experience is fun. If it ceased being fun, why am I still doing it? If I got burned out and wanted to sleep in one morning, why wouldn't I? By switching things up and staying fresh, maybe even better than grinding yourself to the bone and ending up with a new hobby in five years.

I can see where my first example could lead you to feel this way, I tried to give a second example about how reprogramming how you react to life can bring about a better life but you seem fixated on the first example so I guess you wont understand. it's also interesting that you keep pointing back at competition and ego which was never part of the original post. You also point out how you already have the programming to enjoy the process, whatever it brings, which was something I was trying to point out. It seems as though you have it all figured out congrats to you!
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 am

magicman54494 wrote:

I can see where my first example could lead you to feel this way, I tried to give a second example about how reprogramming how you react to life can bring about a better life but you seem fixated on the first example so I guess you wont understand. it's also interesting that you keep pointing back at competition and ego which was never part of the original post. You also point out how you already have the programming to enjoy the process, whatever it brings, which was something I was trying to point out. It seems as though you have it all figured out congrats to you!

Regarding your other example, I've definitely driven 5 miles farther to avoid a cluster of red lights. Do it every time I drive downtown to my office. It's called the scenic route. I guess I was just programmed to take the scenic route and don't see a need to change, nor do I see a need to change others if they want to sit at red lights. To each their own.

Not trying to be argumentative, just keeping the discussion flowing. My opinions are worth what you paid for them. I bring ego into the discussion because it is so pervasive in hunting today and antithetical to most everything I was taught about it. I was taught to enjoy the journey and the results would come. I feel as though a results oriented approach, even with attempted reprogramming, will inevitably lead to frustration. I've known quite a few hunters give hunting a go for 5 years, maybe a decade. They don't see the results they want and move onto another hobby. They don't enjoy the act of hunting in itself. Can that be reprogrammed? Maybe it can? I would love to see examples of that.

I grew up golfing a ton. I always had a lot of frustration golfing until I was about 23 years old or so. Chased the 300 yard drive on every tee box and attacked every pin. I guess you could say I reprogrammed, but more accurately I would say I just matured. Learned the virtue of clubbing down, laying up, and the smooth 275 driver swing. I now enjoy golfing, not trying to be an amazing golfer. Rarely get frustrated. And the funny thing is I am way better now than I was back then despite not having near the time to play. You could not have reprogrammed 18 year old Joe with a pep talk. It just took time. If I still got frustrated today like I did then, today at age 30, I probably would need to consider other hobbies.

In essence we are saying just about the same thing if you haven't noticed.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:57 am

elk yinzer wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

Regarding your other example, I've definitely driven 5 miles farther to avoid a cluster of red lights. Do it every time I drive downtown to my office. It's called the scenic route. I guess I was just programmed to take the scenic route and don't see a need to change, nor do I see a need to change others if they want to sit at red lights. To each their own.

Not trying to be argumentative, just keeping the discussion flowing. My opinions are worth what you paid for them. I bring ego into the discussion because it is so pervasive in hunting today and antithetical to most everything I was taught about it. I was taught to enjoy the journey and the results would come. I feel as though a results oriented approach, even with attempted reprogramming, will inevitably lead to frustration. I've known quite a few hunters give hunting a go for 5 years, maybe a decade. They don't see the results they want and move onto another hobby. They don't enjoy the act of hunting in itself. Can that be reprogrammed? Maybe it can? I would love to see examples of that.

I grew up golfing a ton. I always had a lot of frustration golfing until I was about 23 years old or so. Chased the 300 yard drive on every tee box and attacked every pin. I guess you could say I reprogrammed, but more accurately I would say I just matured. Learned the virtue of clubbing down, laying up, and the smooth 275 driver swing. I now enjoy golfing, not trying to be an amazing golfer. Rarely get frustrated. And the funny thing is I am way better now than I was back then despite not having near the time to play. You could not have reprogrammed 18 year old Joe with a pep talk. It just took time. If I still got frustrated today like I did then, today at age 30, I probably would need to consider other hobbies.

your example is exactly what im trying to explain. your programming was " if i hit monster drives I will be a great golfer". then you became AWARE that this thought process was not serving your goals. Then you adjusted your thought process and the results that you wanted became reality. you can call it maturity if that makes you feel good. It doesnt matter what name we give it. your enjoyment level increased as a result as well. im not one bit surprised that your game improved because I see the same results in my hunting when I stop trying to force it. I agree with you that if its not broke, dont fix it.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:19 am

The examples I used were just those that I relate to.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:36 am

elk yinzer wrote:Not trying to be argumentative, just keeping the discussion flowing.

Elk, It would be awesome if you would elaborate on the thought process involved in coming to these conclusions and actually making the changes and making them lasting. I think this real life situation would be a great learning aid for everyone wishing to make changes.
For instance, what exactly made you decide that your methods were not working and how you decided to change your tactics and how you mentally approached implementing the changes. I'm sure you often struggled at first when you stood on the tee box and tried not to pound out a 300 yd drive. How did you handle it?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”