Canoes and kayaks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Canoes and kayaks

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:55 am

Dpierce72 wrote:Sportspal has a foam liner in the floor which dampens the noise, but I also put swimming pool noodle over the braces as well as slice them and place them over side rails (adhere with tape) . It helps dampen noise if you hit it with a paddle and allows stand to rest upright against the braces without fear of clanking.

Nice! 8-)

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 pm

I have been researching canoe vs. kayak for the last few years. 2017 was the first year I finally got to try a kayak for hunting purposes. I used a 10' Emotion (a gift I got for my wife) for duck hunting and scouting. I found that there is no good way to stay dry due to the water running down the paddle while paddling. A kayak is very maneuverable and easy to put in the back of the truck. Storage is lacking and it would be might dicey putting a deer on that thing. The cons outweighed the pros so I never used the kayak for deer hunting. This summer I got a great deal on a 17' Old Town canoe. Obviously it is on the big side for what I want it for, but it paddles great and hauls a lot of bear bait and gear. I timed a one mile, solo paddle across a calm lake three different times. I paddled at a moderate pace all three trips. The canoe with a single paddle was the fastest. My theory is you can get a better stroke with a standard canoe paddle than with a kayak paddle (and I didn't get wet). The big canoe is tough to maneuver, but I anticipate using it often this fall. I have my eyes on an Old Town 119. On paper and with my new found experience the 119 would be the best vessel for solo hunting trips, in my opinion.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:06 pm

This thread got me searching youtube. Think I may try a canoe paddle instead of a kayak paddle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMx70wqMA9k
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 pm

mike_mc wrote:This thread got me searching youtube. Think I may try a canoe paddle instead of a kayak paddle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMx70wqMA9k

Nice video! I need to dig in a little futher in some stuff like that to learn. Thanks for posting that! 8-)
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:53 pm

Kayak buddy. If you're willing to spend the money to get a good one you can have an awesome setup. Mine is stable enough to stand up and paddle in, light enough to load by myself, has a wheel in the back for wheelin down to the water, dry storage areas, and big storage area in the back. Plus an awesome seat and rod holders built in and all that. I would aim for the widest one I could find for the stability while paddling around in the dark.

Kayaks have come a long ways in recent years.
CrazyBaldArcher

Unread postby CrazyBaldArcher » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 pm

I own a kayak and I don't think the load capacity is large enough to accommodate my fat but, all my gear and a deer.

I would suggest a canoe and I know people are saying it's heavy but what about making a canoe/kayak cart to help "carry" it waters edge if it's a far hike

DIY Canoe Cart

If I find a nice place to gain access via the water I'm going to go with a canoe.
SouthpawSwitchback

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 am

I prefer a kayak for most applications. They're more maneuverable, easer loading and unloading with one person, and they glide through Lilly pads and other aquatic vegetation a lot nicer than a canoe. Just my 2 cents.
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:22 am

For the yakers… any pictures of taking deer out with them? I hear a lot of talk about getting in and out with gear but how about with a deer? Not looking for idea’s, looking for real world experience.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”