Hunting Near Urban Areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Hunting Near Urban Areas

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:51 pm

So I was fortunate enough to get 1 of 400 permits that are handed out in my area for bow hunting only on certain tracks of public land. One of the tracks is on a narrow 4 Mile Stretch of a large river out here. The only way to access it is by water or if you happen to live on a bordering property. I have scouted it out a bit and don't believe it gets hunted much at all because of the difficulty accessing.

So my question is if there are any tactics for this interesting piece of land. There are some flat areas as well as hilly Bluffs that go up to residential housing. There are also a couple of funnels where it is really steep right by the river. I am planning to try to hunt one of these funnels and see what goes through, but would love any advice or Insight that anyone else has.

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Hunting Near Urban Areas

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 am

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:37 am

aerials and topo maps would be helpful
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 am

Bob,

I know where you're referring to, and I'm jealous you got a permit- I didn't even think about it before they were all gone.

I can't offer you much in terms of access advice other than boat/canoe/kayak, but I understand that there's used to be some good deer and turkeys both out there-I used to know the developer of the big neighborhood that backs up to it and he would always get a permit because he lived right at the back of the neighborhood over one of the best points of the waterway.. he got to pick the location of his house when the development started and he sounded pretty happy with his choice
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:53 pm

J Gilbert wrote:Bob,

I know where you're referring to, and I'm jealous you got a permit- I didn't even think about it before they were all gone.

I can't offer you much in terms of access advice other than boat/canoe/kayak, but I understand that there's used to be some good deer and turkeys both out there-I used to know the developer of the big neighborhood that backs up to it and he would always get a permit because he lived right at the back of the neighborhood over one of the best points of the waterway.. he got to pick the location of his house when the development started and he sounded pretty happy with his choice

No way! I bet I know almost exactly where his house is. I've already got my wife convinced that if we ever move it will be to one of those houses that backs up to the hunting area. For me, unless I get permission to pass through from someone, the best spot is a three mile kayak trip both ways... I do have some spots staked out that are closer, but the area a few miles in looks like it might be the place to try getting to. Maybe I should just suck it up and start knocking on doors.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Do you live in the area?
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:13 am

You'd do well to move there if it's in the cards, it's a great community.

I grew up 30-40 minutes NE of there off Hwy 20E, but live in Decatur on the east side of Atlanta now. I had planned on trying to get a permit but by the time I looked into it, there weren't any left- it would be an hour+ from me but I'd make the drive for a few hunts if there were still good deer there.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:59 am

J Gilbert wrote:You'd do well to move there if it's in the cards, it's a great community.

I grew up 30-40 minutes NE of there off Hwy 20E, but live in Decatur on the east side of Atlanta now. I had planned on trying to get a permit but by the time I looked into it, there weren't any left- it would be an hour+ from me but I'd make the drive for a few hunts if there were still good deer there.

That's a bummer for sure. Let me know if you get one next year. I am always looking for a hunting buddy. Tell your developer friend that he is one lucky man! I do hope to consider moving there, but it is not in the cards for us at the moment.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”