Anyone use a boat for access?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jeff25

Anyone use a boat for access?

Unread postby Jeff25 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:38 pm

I don’t have a kayak of canoe but I do have a 16’ fiberglass bass boat. One spot I scouted is next to a small lake with a boat ramp. I thought about using my boat and just tying it off to a tree. Anyone ever do this?

backstrap19

Re: Anyone use a boat for access?

Unread postby backstrap19 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Do it man! If for no other reason, do it for the adventure. imagine the fulfillment you'll feel if you drag one back to the bass boat. if not, you can still say you had an adventure. I have a spot I access via canoe. It isn't my best spot, but it's a decent spot. However, I keep going because I love the feeling of adventure and doing something nobody else is doing. I feel a sense of accomplisment for just pulling the hunt off. So, I say do it. you may find the spot of a lifetime that has never seen any human pressure.
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Yes I have in a couple different marshes I hunt. Works great to get into some remote spots. I have a 14 foot boat with a 15 hp Evinrude on it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:13 am

Absolutely do it, I take my canoe out anywhere from a half dozen to a dozen times of year. It's a great way to access different location away from the pressure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:44 am

Put a dead doe in my canoe twice last season! It's cool when it comes together!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Tjterry
Facebook: Trevor Terry

Unread postby Tjterry » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:09 am

I've got a 16 foot aluminum bass boat I've drug all over the country to use for hunting. I look for places I can access by boat that otherwise would be real had to get to by land. There is a lot of public land along water ways that can't be accessed because of private land, it's a good way to get away from pressure. Just be careful, I about got in some serious trouble last year up in south Dakota, if the locals tell you your boat it's to small for that lake , listen, I didn't. Lol
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:22 am

Canoe all the way. Really nothing better than paddling one back
Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:29 am

I only have a trolling motor on it so my only concern is that the cold weather would drain the batteries
run&gunBOB

Unread postby run&gunBOB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:57 am

I have a spot that i feel is best accessed via 1.5 mile kayak up a fast paced river. It seems like alot of work but its not that bad actually. Once landed, its a 200 yard walk vs a 1/2 mile hike. There is plenty of access from the other side of this parcel, but there are plenty of people too. Do what everyone else does; get what everyone else gets.. **Something I never considered was during gun season (late November) the banks were crusted with ice...it was pretty loud to say the least.
All good things come to those who shoot straight.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:10 pm

I never have, but have an area I may be trying this season.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Boats are pretty standard equipment down here
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Yep. You can get to some low pressured areas by boat. Image
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:01 pm

I pretty much use them exclusively.
Make It Happen
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 am

for those of you using boats on public, what do you do to secure it while you hunt? I couldn't imagine coming back and finding your boat or kayak gone. Do you hide it or lock it to something? The lake I hunt has tons of non-hunter traffic and I get nervous about leaving my kayak visibile.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 am

Beastintraining wrote:for those of you using boats on public, what do you do to secure it while you hunt? I couldn't imagine coming back and finding your boat or kayak gone. Do you hide it or lock it to something? The lake I hunt has tons of non-hunter traffic and I get nervous about leaving my kayak visibile.

I don't, a lot of time I don't have anything to secure it too other than grass or bog. The rest of the time I am pretty darn remote so unless someone is duck hunting the river or lake I am on then I doubt anyone finds my canoe. Sure it could happen, just not to me. 8-) :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”