Anyone use a boat for access?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Re: Anyone use a boat for access?

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:21 am

Swampbuck wrote:
AvidHunter88 wrote:For those of you using boats, how close are you parking to suspected bedding and do you think the motor noise tips off the deer depending on how close you are?

I use the go devil to get about 4-500 yds away then I use the pirogue to get in quuet the rest the way.

Yep. Same here

"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Fireman324

Unread postby Fireman324 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Never boated in for a hunt but I have plans to this year so your not the only newb!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:19 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:These look sweet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwVCpZXGAo

We use those down here. That model is kinda big for me but they are nice
Make It Happen
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm

My opening day hunt will be a boat in
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Deep in the swamp!

I dump the little one off once I get about a quarter mile from where I'll hunt.

https://youtu.be/4W5mxVNOiGU
Make It Happen
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Robert wrote:Yes I have in a couple different marshes I hunt. Works great to get into some remote spots. I have a 14 foot boat with a 15 hp Evinrude on it.

I have the same thing but 25 on it works great
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:42 pm

I have a 17 foot deep v, done it a few times but its hardly worth towing and trailering it to the places I can access around here. Where I've done it in Western PA other guys do it too. Rifle hunted a big lake in WV a couple times, never took boat but that lake was a zoo opening morning, guys trying to shoot deer from their boats all day. I feel water access is a much more applicable concept in swamp marshes and small rivers in the flatlands but what do I know.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 am

I get that this thread is focused on accessing by boat, but what kinds of boats are suitable for getting a deer out? Particularly a larger deer. Are there any kinds of watercraft unsuitable for getting a deer out with? I'm particularly interested in the smallest, possibly non motorized boat that get safely get you and a deer out of the field. Is there another thread out there on this topic?
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 am

RiverBottoms wrote:I get that this thread is focused on accessing by boat, but what kinds of boats are suitable for getting a deer out? Particularly a larger deer. Are there any kinds of watercraft unsuitable for getting a deer out with? I'm particularly interested in the smallest, possibly non motorized boat that get safely get you and a deer out of the field. Is there another thread out there on this topic?

I've studied it some; it seems that canoes are generally considered better than kayaks of similar size for carrying a deer.
But a lot of kayak fans say it really doesn't matter much for getting a deer out. They just tie a tow line to the deer and "float" them out behind them, as deer hair is hollow and they float well.

As far as carrying gear in, some/most (?) kayaks have stowage space enough for the amount of gear most "Beasties" would carry in on a hunt.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:15 am

I always thought it would be neat thing to hunt from a boat, and I have some areas that I could do it. That being said it simply isn't worth the effort there to take a kayak or boat as it would simply save me a little walking but not enough to make it worth it. I will probably do it one time though just to do it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:42 am

RiverBottoms wrote:I get that this thread is focused on accessing by boat, but what kinds of boats are suitable for getting a deer out? Particularly a larger deer. Are there any kinds of watercraft unsuitable for getting a deer out with? I'm particularly interested in the smallest, possibly non motorized boat that get safely get you and a deer out of the field. Is there another thread out there on this topic?

I can tell you that a regular 14’ Jon boat gets reeeeeaaall small reeeeeal quick with 2 guys, gear, stands, deer. It can get very sketchy with that much weight especially if there is any amount of chop.

Boat access seems awesome but it can be a gigantic pain in the but if you are not real familiar with your vessel and engine. Also the body of water itself makes a huge difference. I have only done a bit of boat acces and have run into alllllll kinds of issues.

Edit: just read the end of your post... I have a couple sevylor Rios and a Colorado. They are fantastic.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 pm

first of all for you younger hunters? what do you carry a knife for? I mean really, I read this all the time, cut the deer up and get it in your transport,,,, geesh,,,, who screws around with a whole deer.....

as for watercraft, I use a lot and have for many years...... I hunt a lot of water in the UP, and my best craft after years of using everything is my 10 foot Solo Discovery canoe,,,,, its amazing where I can go with this craft,,,, it was not cheap, and cost me at the time about 400.00 and is under 30lbs

today you can get custom canoes built, for about the same and the Cadot company in Wis builds then square stern for the 2hp motors, that are perfect for a lot of spots....

for me kayaks are a pia, but to each their own,,,, I have used some small jon boats in the 10 to 12 foot range, bought at rummage sales that are cached in the woods, in various spots

My friends son runs a 15 footer jon boat on the Wis River with a 15hp, and hunts a ton of public land, that no one from the road ever gets too,,,,

since I have few secrets in my older years, its my jon boat and 6hp that has served me well on the Iowa River, when I have drawn a tag,,,,,
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Jeff25 wrote:I don’t have a kayak of canoe but I do have a 16’ fiberglass bass boat. One spot I scouted is next to a small lake with a boat ramp. I thought about using my boat and just tying it off to a tree. Anyone ever do this?

This will be a game changer for you, it's gives you an edge that the "majority" of the hunters won't have. While many do use some type of boat, I'd venture to say 80% or higher would not. I use a 16' canoe, simply because I don't have a boat and a canoe is easy for me to handle. If you have an outboard on it, it might be worth investing in a trolling motor to get the final approach to your spot quietly.

Something to keep on mind on using boats/canoes/kayaks, ensure that you read up on the boating regs, as there maybe some special requirements that you'll need to comply with. I.e. boat launch permits, registration, life vest requirements, etc.

All in all, it's definitely worth explorin, you can learn different ways to access areas this summer and potentially not even have to step off the boat!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:33 am

Thanks for the responses guys. In my state, we can't pack out quarters unfortunately, otherwise I would do that on occasion for sure. I'm interested in the Sevylor options since they should be easy to transport in a pick up truck bed. Are they durable when pushing through cattails etc. How long does it take to inflate them?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”