Tree stands/fear of heights

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Tree stands/fear of heights

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 am

I always used to hunt hang on stands with climbing ladder sticks. I hated the climb most of all, and the step on to the stand from the sticks. Being at height and tethered was never really a bother.

Heights were never a problem for me, as long as what i was standing on was stable. I used to love standing on the edge of the hospital roofs where i worked, and look 10-13 stories down. But put me on a ladder, my knees knock together!

Last year i hunted with a climber, and never felt more secure going up a tree. This year I'll be using a saddle for the first time.

I do enjoy mixing in ground hunts, and hunted exclusively from the ground late season last year.

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:12 am

If you wear a good safety harness (I recommend a rock climbing harness) and stay attached to the tree from the ground up, there is virtually no way to fall and get seriously injured. I prefer a RC harness because you are attached via the belay loop in the front vs. being attached behind your back, with most treestand safety harnesses.
Little Joe

Unread postby Little Joe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:33 am

I would tell being afraid is a good thing. It means you realize the consequences of a fall. Always use your safety gear appropriately. Keep your tethers taught so if simething fails your are not dropping 2-3 feet.

I switched over to saddle Hunting after an injury. If done correctly the tether is always taught. There is no chance of suspension trauma. Just take your time and climb only as high you are comfortable. Some guys like the 30’. I would tell you I have killed my fair share if deer iver the years and I have killed just as many from the ground.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:49 am

Rich M wrote:Currently looking for a used aluminum climber. If you lower the seat and sit "deeper" in the climber you will feel safer - I've been known to nap in them during mid-day.

I always ran my seat all the way down and used the top rail as a shooting rail for my crossbow.

I will also add that hunting in my Summit Goliath was by far the most comfortable I have every been when I hunted out of it.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:07 am

Stand hunting certainly has its advantages, you have a better view and shooting most of the time, the deer can't smell you as easily and you are out of their line of sight. All important things to help a hunter get an arrow into a deer. With all that said if it is not your thing just work on becoming an efficient ground hunter, plenty of us do in places that don't have good trees to shoot out of so there is no reason you can't hunt from the ground full time and be very successful. I might even do that when my body is too old to haul a stand and sticks all over the woods.
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 am

For me personally if I climb a tree without my safety harness, which is almost never, I'm a nervous wreck. It even messes with my head. I get dizzy, and have to hold onto anything and everything I can. If you were to see me transition from the climbing sticks to the stand without a my harness, it would remind you of someone attempting to climb onto a boat after a tiring night adrift at sea. It's not very fun for me. Now, when I wear it I can stand on one leg at 30' and not think a thing about it.

As far as height goes, if you're downwind of the deer, he most likely won't smell you whether you're high in a tree or on the ground. If the deer is downwind of you, there's a high probability that he'll smell you whether you're high or low. The reason I like getting higher, if there's cover, is because it's easier get out of the deer's line of sight sooner.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:05 am

I am not afraid of heights but I'm scared to death of falling!
North

Unread postby North » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:37 am

I prefer to hunt out of my aerohunter saddle vs my climber. I trust my ropes more than I trust most of the trees that I end up climbing. Really prefer the feeling of leaning back in the saddle instead of sitting with my back to the tree too. It's downright relaxing.
chase

Unread postby chase » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I have no fear of heights, but to me the ground game is sometimes better,,,,,, with that said, I have a Millenium M300 tree seat. It tips my scales at 3.8lbs. it comes with a single strap, which I got rid of, and put on a back pack shoulder system on it. You would never know its on your back. I can set up quickly and QUIETLY,,,,,, no hassle, and great for run and gun. sure I do need a tree, but most of my areas, it has not been a problem. nothing is perfect.

found some great chairs, but all too heavy for me, if its over 5lbs I have no interest in it. I am older so I need some comfort, not 30 anymore. ground hunting is a winner, in many cases, and its just another tool to use, in the process......................

You complained about, the hassle of a tree stand set up. I only use 2 sticks, and use most of the tree I am on, for cover, when setting up my best guess on deer travel. so I am set up pretty quick, and no breaking a sweat...........

google marc Anthony and see why and how, he has been on the ground for many years, and his record is something else
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:52 pm

I am also not great with heights. For me, the first hunt is always a white-knuckle hunt. Then, I get a bit more comfortable with the idea and it gets easier each sit.

Have a good safety harness. Then during the first time in a tree for the year, lean into the harness. Your body will do a good job of helping your mind realize that the harness has you secure. That is what seems to work best for me.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:07 am

I'm not afraid of heights by any means but it does take a couple sits each year to get comfortable again. I just take my time and try not to rush anything. Seems to help.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:52 am

You can hunt 10 foot and still be successful.
Most of my bucks have been 10-15 feet.
Might need to focus more on setting up on the edge of drainages to pull your scent and thermal away from bedding or other strategic spots.

I think guys on here are right in suggesting a climber with top rail to help you feel better secured.
A good safety harness you trust and are comfortable with.

Ive been somewhat scared of heights since my dads treestand accident years back so I understand I hunt 20 feet or under.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:17 am

I'm super sketchy with heights. I generally hunt from a climber or ladder stands, I get pretty wobbly once I get 18-20ft up... Takes me a few sits before I get more comfortable. I'm guilty of not practicing consistent safety harness use, but since having children I've been using them more consistently, especially in my climber (100% now). I've always been too intimidated to attempt the climbing sticks and hang-on stands, but after learning these new beast tactics, I think I will be purchasing them this next off season and just slowly practicing and learning how to use them more. My biggest hang-up with the hang-on, was how to go about hanging one.... once I learned about the line-man's belt, I see now how it can be done safely.

In the mean time, I will be using my climber where practical and hunting more from the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”