What are your goals for 2018?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Re: What are your goals for 2018?

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:33 am

I have one goal and one goal only for this season;
END THE DROUGHT.
I haven’t killed a mature buck since 2009. I’ve missed one, and wounded one, and passed on a bunch of good buckswhere I just didn’t like the shot.
It’s time.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 am

Besides learning everything i can soak up this year.
I now have a new goal. Not right away but probably later on in season when i get more and more practice and consistency with it
I just bought my first recurve and i would love to get a shot at a deer. Doesnt have too be a buck. That would be a bonus Just a big doe maybe. Ive been shooting all day and i can tell already im hooked big time
Hunter271995

Unread postby Hunter271995 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm

The most important goal for me is to continue to learn about the deer and the landscape that I am hunting on. By understanding the woods better, hopefully I will understand the deer better and vice versa. The next goal is to harvest a deer (or a few) based on what I have learned from previous seasons, this year scouting, and the in-season learning. The last goal is harvest the largest buck with my bow, which will come from what has been learned. Deer hunting is nothing if you don't learn something.
Zig when they Zag, Zag when they Zig
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:43 pm

I have had the same goal for the past dozen years. Have fun and give myself a chance at something nice.

This year goal 1 is to form a new goal!

I've scouted harder than I have the last few year, even expanded my home range to some diff parts of the state. Having fun is a given so I won't count that one. I'm going for 2 does and 2 good bucks all taken inside of 20 yards with my recurve. 1 buck will be taken from a area I have never hunted. This removes the edge of prior history and forces me to look closely and adapt on the fly. By no means do I consider this a easy goal and feel I could have a very rewarding season even if I don't reach it. But the thought of 2 bucks and the challenge it represents has got me pretty excited to get the season underway.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:55 pm

To truly enjoy and soak in everything out of every minute that I get to spend out there in God’s great creation, as well as preparing myself and my equipment to be able to make that killing shot if presented with the opportunity.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Three kills in 10 days of hunting. One or more with the bow. That's it for me.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
KingfisherNYC

Unread postby KingfisherNYC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am

My goal is to merely see a mature buck while hunting. Thanks to the beast, this is the first season where I have hope that I will achieve the goal . . .
kmwssp

Unread postby kmwssp » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:52 pm

My goal is to walk into a new section each time I hunt and find sign to setup on. To keep moving through sections of multiple pieces of public. Having fun the whole time in my saddle. Hopefully getting an opportunity on my first buck. If not , planning for next year with what I have learned.
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am

TO KILL A SLOB :D
Bobo

Unread postby Bobo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:19 am

My main goal is to be more aggressive and be in the game Everytime I hunt. I have learned on the beast that I have never been aggressive enough when I hunt. I'm going to run observation sits and go for broke first time in. No more tip towing around and having my season boringly and unsuccessfully go by.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:41 am

Have fun
      I want to kill a PA buck bigger than the one I killed last year.
        Kill a buck in both PA and OHIO
        <DK>
        500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 am

Have fun and make good shots.

Good luck to all
        <DK>
        500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 am

kdawg_901 wrote:To get my first buck, and also do it on public land using my recurve.

Good luck!
        Rodd

Unread postby Rodd » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:37 am

My goal as it's been for many years, sometimes achieved, sometimes not, to shoot a decent buck with my bow or gun or muzzleloader, but preferably bow. To me a decent buck is going to be anything from roughly 125 or better. I'm not scoring them before shooting or anything, just a buck that's at least 2.5 preferably 3.5 or better. I've shot a couple in the 150's, would like to get another there or better.

Another goal that I have every year is to shoot a deer on the first sit on one private piece I hunt. Usually that's a doe, as most times there aren't really any shooters there or they won't arrive before dark. They almost all bed on a property I can't hunt. It's a field stand & the entrance is fine, very difficult to exit without spooking deer. It's got a lot of human traffic so the ground scent's not an issue, but bumping them coming out is. Sometimes I get picked up in a vehicle, which really helps. I don't hunt that spot until there's a minimum of 10mph NW wind, 20 is actually better, because it's more of a sure thing for sightings.

Put at least one antlerless deer on the ground, yearling or older with my bow, usually accomplish this.

Get my daughter her first buck, of any size with the bow. She shot a yearling doe last year while I was sitting with her, her first deer ever with any weapon, her second year bow hunting. She will start sitting solo this year.

Try to learn where the biggest bucks are bedding on the two properties I hunt that are big enough I may be able to get close to their beds. I hunt 6 different pieces of private ground primarily.
        kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:39 am

<DK> wrote:
        kdawg_901 wrote:To get my first buck, and also do it on public land using my recurve.

Good luck!

Thanks <DK>

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”