Hunting buddy help!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
AfootTrack56

Re: Hunting buddy help!!

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:11 am

Cuzzinfish wrote:Sometimes I wish I had a hunting buddy, but it hasn’t been in the cards. When someone isn’t as into something as you are and they look at you like you have two heads when you start talking, it’s sort of inevitable that it won’t work out. So, I’ve basically been a solo hunter for 12 years or better. The only crappy part is not having the “tailgate talk” at the end of hunt.

I’ve noticed that many times!! Glad it’s not just me. Seems like as soon as you start explaining why you did what you did, or why I need to approach a specific way, or why you think a buck is bedded in a specific spot, people look at you like you’re insane or something. Haha. If they only knew how important that stuff is.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:30 am

AfootTrack56 wrote:
Cuzzinfish wrote:Sometimes I wish I had a hunting buddy, but it hasn’t been in the cards. When someone isn’t as into something as you are and they look at you like you have two heads when you start talking, it’s sort of inevitable that it won’t work out. So, I’ve basically been a solo hunter for 12 years or better. The only crappy part is not having the “tailgate talk” at the end of hunt.

I’ve noticed that many times!! Glad it’s not just me. Seems like as soon as you start explaining why you did what you did, or why I need to approach a specific way, or why you think a buck is bedded in a specific spot, people look at you like you’re insane or something. Haha. If they only knew how important that stuff is.

The ole' glazed over look. I can almost hear them thinking "Are you crazy? I'm not going thru all that work just to kill a buck!"

:lol:
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:45 am

Dewey wrote:
AfootTrack56 wrote:

The ole' glazed over look. I can almost hear them thinking "Are you crazy? I'm not going thru all that work just to kill a buck!"

Or they say “what are you going to do if you kill one way back there?” That’s my favorite. Just drag a little bit, cuss a little bit, and laugh a lot. Then repeat. Be back at the truck in no time. I love it.
CrazyBaldArcher

Unread postby CrazyBaldArcher » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 am

I feel your pain of trying to find a buddy willing and into working for big bucks.

Most people I find think it's going to be like shooting cows, in that they will just stand there and let you shoot them.

I usually stare at them like a deer in head lights.

I don't divulge my good spots until we've been hunting buddies for a couple of years, I got once and that was enough.

Plus I test the waters by saying we're going to find a good spot together that way if I do get burned it isn't on a spot that I enjoy.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:29 am

Dewey wrote:
AfootTrack56 wrote:

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:06 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
AfootTrack56 wrote:

That’s it. :lol:
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 am

Classic
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 am

I’m in a similar situation. My brother in law likes to go hunting but he never does any scouting and just depends on me to take him to spots i have scouted. I also have a good friend from high school that gave me permission to hunt his families property but they just hunt the same stands over and over with out paying any attention to wind or hunt anywhere else but that 60 acres. Can’t get either one to put in the effort, or even do some researching on here or other rescouces to learn more about deer and hunting.
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:41 am

Jeff25 wrote:I’m in a similar situation. My brother in law likes to go hunting but he never does any scouting and just depends on me to take him to spots i have scouted. I also have a good friend from high school that gave me permission to hunt his families property but they just hunt the same stands over and over with out paying any attention to wind or hunt anywhere else but that 60 acres. Can’t get either one to put in the effort, or even do some researching on here or other rescouces to learn more about deer and hunting.

I have some family that does that exact thing! One guy sits the same stand every year. He killed a big buck on opening morning of gun season 5 years in a row. And these other yahoos (cousins) couldn’t figure out why. I finally got em to scout the public just off the 80 acres of private they hunt. Come to find out, guys drive the public and push the bucks out and they sneak out this narrow grass strip passing this dudes stand. They still didn’t adjust. I hiked in a mile and a half and hunted the property line. 20 minutes after light, 160 buck sneaks by. The saplings were so thick I couldn’t thread the needle. Made me sick. But my plan worked. He was there.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:56 am

Dewey wrote:
AfootTrack56 wrote:

That’s my brother. Kept saying he wanted to get back into hunting. I even gave him a bunch of my older camo and bought him a new release for Christmas. He went a couple times but complained about the time and the other people who only want to walk 300 yards into the public. :lol:

I even showed him on the map where I killed my two bucks on the property near his house years ago. He didn’t want to walk that far and climb the hills.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Dewey wrote:I have absolutely no problem sharing hunting camp with others but when it's time to hunt we all go different directions and do our own thing. Meeting up after to help each other recover a deer or talk tactics is great and the best part of a deer camp atmosphere.

X2
ndtim

Unread postby ndtim » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:34 pm

street28ss wrote:
AfootTrack56 wrote:Well, it’s good to know I’m not the only one in the boat. Thanks gents. The last 4 years or so, I have been bowhunting solo and it’s been awesome. Yeah, the dinner table chats at the end of the day are nice but I like the fact I make the plan and execute the plan. Plus it gives me a chance to really focus on what I want out of the hunt. For me. Sounds kinda selfish, but I’m out there for me. Rifle hunting is gonna stay a family tradition for sure, but it’s looking like my real work is gonna have to be solo, stick and string style.

I think the best thing would be to hunt solo and share camp with others to get the experience. I have also found that the HB helps me with feeling like I'm sharing the experience with others.

I agree with that sentiment. Most of the guys that I know are gunhunters, and can't relate to the intensity that I bring to hunting. The Hunting Beast provides the sense of community I'm looking for in that respect. It's great.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:03 pm

I received a hunting buddy in the Fall of 2013 (my Dad). I only see him one week per year (gun season).

I kinda wish I had a hunting buddy , but I must be like a pattern of a snowflake. I wish I could find someone like myself,,,, but i realize finding that someone is harder than finding a needle in a haystack.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Good thread.

I also appreciate the sentiment in this thread. I would love to have a hunting partner who is as passionate as I am, but I haven't found one yet. I have a few friends who are interested in hunting, but it is a far more passive sport for them, so it doesn't pay to invite them to join me - one or both of us would end up not having fun.

My dad has pretty much been my only hunting buddy, but his health isn't very good, so we just get to hunt during gun season together. My brother used to hunt with us, but he has zero interest now. I guess at this point my best hope is to wait a few years till my oldest son can join me. I just pray I don't burn him out with my hunting style. It would still be nice to find a peer to hunt with though.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:12 pm

I glass and shine with one fellow beast. Our plan is to hunt the same public but separate areas. I also own property with my dad and uncle. They don’t hunt like me and that’s ok. I usually go to another area but share camp with them. My advice if you want a hunting buddy, find someone on the beast that’s in your area. They’re the only ones that get it imo. Lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”