Walk in pants

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Walk in pants

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Sitting here this morning having coffee with the windows open made me think of this...
Nice cool morning but humid as heck here. will be closing up soon and turning on the air.
Running through my mind how just in a few weeks It will be game on!

So i know most of you guys encounter this...

Walking in on morning hunts in early season when you must go through sections of chest high marsh grass/ golden rods/etc. heavy with dew, What kind of pants do you wear?

I have yet to find a good kind of pants to keep my bottom end dry.
I tried using cheapo rain pants over camo but I got as wet from sweat as if I would of just went without. Not to mention it heats the rest of your body up so much more as well causing more perspiring on top as well.
Currently I just use my light weight cotton camo pant and just sit the morning soaked clean through to my grundies.

So here's my preferable criteria...
Has to be water proof or at least water resistant. I can stand a little dampness.
Can't go "zeek zeek zeek " with each step.
Wips slapping my legs can't sound like someone dispatching a coon in a trap with a 22 revolver. :shock:
Can't be fleece or I'll just end up as one big burdock ball.
Must be light weight meaning non insulated .
Preferably something breathable. I know gortex is great for this, just usually outer layer is the problem.
Would be nice if it was some kind of camo but a carhart brown color would be fine too.

Is there such a pant?
fellow beasts please help!

Signed: "Usually wet through to my grundies"

pewpewpew

Re: Walk in pants

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:00 am

I wear Prana stretch Zion pants, with or without varying weight layers of merino. That good for me until it’s under 30.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:09 am

My scentlok base layers is what I wear on the walk in, as thin as I can stand giving the temps.

Helps keep me cooler and I don't really worrie about getting see on me and getting a tag wet because if it's early season it's going to be hot once the sun comes up.

I put on my outer layers once I'm settled in my stand and have had a lil cool off time.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:34 am

Look no further........or maybe you can keep looking, but the sportsmans guide has flektarn camo gore tex pants from east Germany for 22 dollars. I got a pair and they work great. Thinking of getting a second pair now as a backup for when these wear out.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Hip boots... Dans five star frog legs. Wish I had bought them years ago. They are a bit warm and may have you sweat a bit, but I've been impressed so far.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Hip boots... Dans five star frog legs. Wish I had bought them years ago. They are a bit warm and may have you sweat a bit, but I've been impressed so far.

x2
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Scratchman wrote:Look no further........or maybe you can keep looking, but the sportsmans guide has flektarn camo gore tex pants from east Germany for 22 dollars. I got a pair and they work great. Thinking of getting a second pair now as a backup for when these wear out.

How loud are those when walking?
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 pm

BorealBushMN wrote:
Scratchman wrote:Look no further........or maybe you can keep looking, but the sportsmans guide has flektarn camo gore tex pants from east Germany for 22 dollars. I got a pair and they work great. Thinking of getting a second pair now as a backup for when these wear out.

x2
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:26 pm

How about scotchguard spray on your current, quiet pants?
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Little Joe

Unread postby Little Joe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:17 pm

I have always preferred Filson clothing.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 am

pewpewpew wrote:I wear Prana stretch Zion pants

X2
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:38 am

Yup...hip boots are a must. Dew, frost or snow on the grass and/or cats can get you cold and wet really quick.
North

Unread postby North » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:45 am

Primetime41 wrote:

X2

Do these actually stand up to the dew pretty well? I bought a pair to hunt out west this year and wasn't thinking I would use them as my walk in pants but maybe I should rethink that.

I also have a pair of cabelas waterproof pants that I used last season and they kept my bottom dry and not sweat. Only problem is that they don't cover the bottom of my torso, which ends up damp by the time I get to the tree.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:48 am

North wrote:
Primetime41 wrote:

X2

Do these actually stand up to the dew pretty well? I bought a pair to hunt out west this year and wasn't thinking I would use them as my walk in pants but maybe I should rethink that.

I also have a pair of cabelas waterproof pants that I used last season and they kept my bottom dry and not sweat. Only problem is that they don't cover the bottom of my torso, which ends up damp by the time I get to the tree.

No but they dry really fast.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:37 am

BorealBushMN wrote:

Certainly not as quiet as fleece. Buy no veep either.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”