Walk in pants

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JTH

Re: Walk in pants

Unread postby JTH » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:46 pm

Maybe try Frog Toggs rain gear. I have no experience wearing it but it’s seems it would be somewhat better than a rubber or plastic material

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:48 pm

early season i use corrugate guide pants from first lite or cabelas micro tex even rain pants will get wet walking threw deep grass the pressure pushes the water threw but pants that can dry rapidly are my go too anymore. the only pant that can stand a chance at staying dry that ive seen so far are good old mil surplus gortex but i dont really like the bulk of an extra pair of pants or the space to pack them away when im done. i find myself using them for a day or two then just giving up and getting wet. one thing i learned over the years hunting marsh in early season is walking the ditches between the grass fields is way better and it keeps you out of sight from the deer that could be crossing them at that time.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:52 pm

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2080889 if you want too try the gortex hears the link they are loud when dry but once the water gets on them they wont make much noise
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:51 pm

matt1336 wrote:Yup...hip boots are a must. Dew, frost or snow on the grass and/or cats can get you cold and wet really quick.

When you wear hip boats in do you take a second pair of boots in for the stand? Or just wear them while sitting?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:08 am

kdawg_901 wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Yup...hip boots are a must. Dew, frost or snow on the grass and/or cats can get you cold and wet really quick.

When you wear hip boats in do you take a second pair of boots in for the stand? Or just wear them while sitting?

I take a second pair. Let’s me use a cheap pair of hippers and wear my comfy boots in the stand. Only time I would sit in my hip boots is if I was set up in a tree that was in the water. And I wouldn’t like it.

But September-October I just get wet. Nicer than sweating
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:45 am

Jonny wrote:
kdawg_901 wrote:

I take a second pair. Let’s me use a cheap pair of hippers and wear my comfy boots in the stand. Only time I would sit in my hip boots is if I was set up in a tree that was in the water. And I wouldn’t like it.

But September-October I just get wet. Nicer than sweating

If it’s warm I’ll just wear shorts with some kind of thin sweat wicking long underwear. Last year I had a couple early season river access spots so I wore old tennis shoes and shorts. I walked in the river with my tennis shoes and shorts. The long underwear kept the skeeters/ticks off my legs and the grass from cutting me up.
When it’s cold I’ll just wear the hippers in the stand with me. I use a heater body suit when I need to...this would be one of those times. I might not wear the upper part of the suit if it’s in the 30s or 40s. But itll keep my feet warm while wearing uninsulated hip boots. A guy could also wear those boot covers that you can buy to keep your feet warm. A set comes with the hbs too
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:16 pm

Two weekends ago I picked up some tan Berne Putty Ripstop Cargo Pants from Dunham's on sale for $20. They're 60% cotton and 40% polyester, I was fairly impressed with them and plan on using them this upcoming season. Why I bought them was to have cheap riding pants for my dirt bike. We road in a torrential down poor and I hit every water hole I could. Pants were still dry, everyone else was soaked trying to dry by the fire and I was bone dry. Seriously couldn't believe it, they're not super quiet, I'd say they're like wearing denim for noise level. I plan to put them to work this season though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”