Arrow length

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jpe40

Arrow length

Unread postby jpe40 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:04 am

When I first got my bow set up the local shop cut them to the correct length for my draw length. That shop is now closed. If i get arrows from a local store that are precut but close in length how much will this affect my shot?

Thanks
JPE

Lheise88

Re: Arrow length

Unread postby Lheise88 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:06 am

I wouldn’t take a chance. It will affect it for sure. More so any longer ranges etc. you could always find a pro shop and send your current measurement to them and have them build you some and ship them.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:09 am

If what you have is shooting good for your setup. You need to stay as close as possible to what you have now. Same spine, weight and length. If not you will be changing you setup again. At very worst you could have something that will not shoot true no matter what you do. Inserts could be in crooked, vanes my not be on right. There are a whole bunch of reasons it could become a nightmare. Or it could all go just fine?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 am

Arrow length effects spine more than anything. But there are ways to correct it if you are in the ball park by adding or subtracting weight to either end of the arrow depending on your circumstance.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 am

If possible, just take one of your arrows and have them match it.
jpe40

Unread postby jpe40 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have 1 arrow left and I found another shop not too far away. I guess I'd rather drive an hour then miss a nice buck LOL
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:12 pm

jpe40 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have 1 arrow left and I found another shop not too far away. I guess I'd rather drive an hour then miss a nice buck LOL

Always worth it! 90% preparation 10% perspiration. I'd say put forth the extra effort and get those arrows right.
Personally, I shoot heavy aluminum arrows, so an arrow that's an inch longer means I'm only dropping an inch more at 30 yards, but carbon have more to them. So, I'd get that taken care of.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:16 am

A general rule to follow that will get you in the right ballpark for your setup is one inch shorter than your draw length. that's just the carbon portion, not including the inserts and nocks.
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:46 am

Look into bare shaft tuning. A good bow shop will help you with it. They have you shoot an arrow with no fletching and they trim the arrow as needed to perfectly match the spine strength of your arrow to the force of your bow. This will give you optimal arrow flight and further tuning will be that much more productive.

I had never known about bareshaft tuning I always thought you just trimmed them to go with your draw length. Hope this helps
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:41 am

I did some testing once on arrow length and was pretty surprised with the POI differences with just a 1/2" difference from arrows setup exactly the same. Group sizes did change, but not a lot.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”