August Acorns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PAHUNTER570

August Acorns

Unread postby PAHUNTER570 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:43 am

Checked a few cams yesterday and noticed lots of red and white oak acorns on the ground already. It didn't seem like the deer were eating them yet. My question is why not? Is it because they are still green or some other reason?

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: August Acorns

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:59 am

I assume because they aren't quite ripe yet? Even the squirrels aren't going for the white oaks in my yard yet. Another week or two and they'll be ready I think.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:50 am

I was talking about acorns yesterday with my buddy who is baiting bear on my property right now. It seems the acorns are dropping heavy about 2.5 weeks ahead of last year in NW Wisconsin. Anyone else noticing this?

As for his bear baiting, I don't think it is a bad thing. Perhaps the bears will start to get a little bored with the acorns come September 5th (opening day for bear) and will want to hit up the juicy bait pile. But I don't know, not a bear expert here. Any of you big bear guys have any thoughts on that?
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:56 am

I was scouting last Saturday, I noticed some select groups of trees dropping. I've never been in this area so I cant speak to the timing but it seemed early compared to other areas. I'll follow up later next week, I've gotta get a cam in another spot ive hunted before where i'm more familiar with the timing.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:12 am

Pretty standard where I live to see oaks dropping this time of year. The drop is light but it always starts mid to late Aug.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:39 am

Yep, I'm currently in central northern Wis. and acorns are dropping. But as stated before, I don't think they are being eaten on a regular basis yet.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:32 am

I noticed a few starting to drop here in Kentucky the last couple weeks but didn't seem like much was on them yet.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
PAHUNTER570

Unread postby PAHUNTER570 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:29 am

So is it worth taking note of the acorns I find now for our September 29th opener?
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 am

PAHUNTER570 wrote:So is it worth taking note of the acorns I find now for our September 29th opener?

Watch for sign going to those acorn trees. From nearest bedding area or thick areas. That sign will be branching off to other areas out of those bedding areas before long.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
eshoremd

Unread postby eshoremd » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am

I walk an area here around the house for exercise. It was breezy here last night and this morning I noticed acorns under the whites. Ive never seen that this early. Last year I shot a few does hitting the whites hard during our early ML. That was Oct 20th.

We had an extra cold long winter here and I was thinking maybe that would damage the whites production but that doesn't seem to be the case. Im just wondering why theyre coming down so early.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:35 am

What color are acorns?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:02 am

Haven't seen any drop yet but I do know its going to be a bumper crop where I hunting in C. Illinois. Three weeks ago I could see the oak branches being weighed down and acorns on them everywhere.
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am

Scouting public land in SE MN and noticed quite a bit of acorns on the ground and white and red oaks just full of them waiting to be dropped. Further down into woods all evening long I would hear acorns dropping. They do look a little green and not yet ripened though. But they are definitely dropping in the area I have scouted. Would setting up on a hardwood/field transition over these acorns be a good strategy to catch deer on their feet in the evening?
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

been hiking and working in the woods past week, noticed mostly white oaks are dropping in my area. Been windy also. Squirrels and turkeys are hitting them hard, not seeing many deer tracks around them yet.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:09 pm

I found a good chunk of acorns in a pile of bear poo the other day.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”