Farm country with river/creek bottoms

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woodworker

Farm country with river/creek bottoms

Unread postby woodworker » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:54 am

Hello

I am looking to set up close to some river edges in farm country. This river is really low compared to the land being farmed. This river also makes many hair pin turns creating small fingers and points.

I have heard Dan mention that bucks like to bed on points in agriculture areas where the deer can use the thermals to there advantage. Would this also be the case along rivers and creek bottoms??? I was not able to post season scout and I just want to do the most minimal scouting to reduce human activity.

Thanks

Lockdown

Re: Farm country with river/creek bottoms

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:01 am

Yes water can have a thermal effect.

River/creek oxbows are some of the most predictable bedding areas out there IMO. The more prominent, the better. Just needs to have security cover.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:10 am

Lockdown nailed it. Oxbows are fantastic with the correct wind and cover for the deer.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:31 am

And the best part about a river is ACCESS. Nothing better than not leaving a scent trail behind. One of my sets I wade in the river for several hundred yards then sneak up a beaver run to access my tree. With a slow flowing river it can be amazingly quiet even on a calm day.

Pay attention to direction of flow if there’s a decent amount of current. Last year I had to walk faster than I wanted with the current to keep up. (High water levels) If I went too slow the water would rush around my legs and make noise. I think going against the current would have been quite loud.

When my Dad killed his two big bucks (1988) he crossed a river and climbed into his tree right on the bank. He said he knew he was hunting bedding, but he didn’t realize he was set up Beast style on that oxbow. They came out WAY before sunset. Early season. Predominant wind blowing strait down the oxbow, his wind was just off.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:04 am

Lockdown wrote:Yes water can have a thermal effect.

River/creek oxbows are some of the most predictable bedding areas out there IMO. The more prominent, the better. Just needs to have security cover.

Agree, and I will add in a good escape route.
woodworker

Unread postby woodworker » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:55 am

Thank you for the replies!!!
Stretch
500 Club

Unread postby Stretch » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:03 pm

The biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild was bedded on an oxbow point
"Let's go brandon, i agree" JOE BIDEN

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”