Will buck move to food source he's been watching or the one he's been smelling?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

Will buck move to food source he's been watching or the one he's been smelling?

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:13 pm

I have some beds and bedding areas and am trying to figure out where to set up for an afternoon/evening sit. The key question is, when a buck is sitting in his bed watching food in front of him, is he more likely to go to that food source he's been watching? OR is he more likely to head to the food source that he's been smelling all day (behind him)? Add to all this that the food source he's been watching is downhill.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Will buck move to food source he's been watching or the one he's been smelling?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Never seen a particular situation in early season where he has both food to the front and the rear. But if all things being equal I would say he would prefer the one he's been watching. Normally from what I've seen he will watch the lesser deer enter field and verify safety then when thermal reversal kicks in he will use it to cover his rear as he drops down. Still sounds easier than it is, u must avoid detection by the early deer as well as tipping off the big boy. My answer is based on farm hill country where they bed high and feed low.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Will buck move to food source he's been watching or the one he's been smelling?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:18 pm

I would guess the one he wants to eat the most. they have preferred food at certain times. can you set up an observation stand?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 pm

He is going to go where he wants to eat... Bedding is done for security. With that said, in low pressure spots, they often bed on the edge of the food if there is good bedding there. The only way to know for sure is to look at the sign, or observe the buck.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:30 am

He's also been smelling the one he's watching all day due to thermals, right? I'd agree the only way to know is through scouting or observation. If I had to guess at it, I'd guess he'll drop like Boogie said. But if I had to guess at it, I might wait to hunt that bed until I had more to go on.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 am

magicman54494 wrote:I would guess the one he wants to eat the most. they have preferred food at certain times. can you set up an observation stand?

Possibly I could do an observation sit. In the one bedding location it is such a good spot because he has a great view of almost everything in front of him on opposite ridge and hunter access. So I'd have to get decently close to be able to see which way he comes out, and if I observe the bottom, I won't know for sure if he used the top that night b/c I can't see both from same location.

It's tough having to balance putting ground scent in there in order to get more intel. But the plus is there are some other people who walk the farm so ground scent in the common areas away from the bedding "should" be ok
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:51 am

Depends on time of the season and specific food sources. I like Dans answer bc they can adjust accordingly.

Lets say hes on a S facing ridge using a N wind at his back. He can see a bean field in the bottoms but an acorn patch is on the top of the ridge (up wind). Well, right now he want those greens in the bottoms. Next month he will want the acorns on top when they drop or get ripe.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 am

<DK> wrote:Depends on time of the season and specific food sources. I like Dans answer bc they can adjust accordingly.

Lets say hes on a S facing ridge using a N wind at his back. He can see a bean field in the bottoms but an acorn patch is on the top of the ridge (up wind). Well, right now he want those greens in the bottoms. Next month he will want the acorns on top when they drop or get ripe.

In this case one spot is for a NW wind at his back. He has hay behind him and grass in front. The other spot is a SW wind at his back and he has corn in front and corn to his left. Of course beyond crops there are some scattered mast trees.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:25 am

comeback_kid wrote:
<DK> wrote:Depends on time of the season and specific food sources. I like Dans answer bc they can adjust accordingly.

In this case one spot is for a NW wind at his back. He has hay behind him and grass in front. The other spot is a SW wind at his back and he has corn in front and corn to his left. Of course beyond crops there are some scattered mast trees.

Thats ok, im just giving an example of thinking about his wants and when food is ready to eat. It can be one of the tougher parts about it. If not already - corn will be ready to eat soon and be picked. Its starting to brown good around here but still some green in places. Some spots w poor soil or planted early have already harvested. Its getting close to velvet shed but checking for tracks is a good way to find out.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 am

magicman54494 wrote:I would guess the one he wants to eat the most. they have preferred food at certain times. can you set up an observation stand?

Yes Magic, I think observation stand will be key for this spot. I vacillate on which way to get close enough to see without educating him. Some places where I think he’s coming out can’t be observed from afar. Have to be like 125-150 yds away.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:46 am

It might be just where I hunt but I don't see this at all. My feelings are bucks bed where they do for a reason, I've never seen mature bucks bed ontop of a Milo field to only travel with no wind advantage a mile away to eat alfalpha. If they wanted alfalpha they bed there. I don't pack stuff in the back of my fridge if I no I'm gonna need it for dinner.
-John Wayne-
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:It might be just where I hunt but I don't see this at all. My feelings are bucks bed where they do for a reason, I've never seen mature bucks bed ontop of a Milo field to only travel with no wind advantage a mile away to eat alfalpha. If they wanted alfalpha they bed there. I don't pack stuff in the back of my fridge if I no I'm gonna need it for dinner.

maybe so but deer will bed a mile from food if it is the only safe bedding. A lot depends on the pressure in your area. I would bet that they would bed as close to food as they can SAFELY bed.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:47 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:It might be just where I hunt but I don't see this at all. My feelings are bucks bed where they do for a reason, I've never seen mature bucks bed ontop of a Milo field to only travel with no wind advantage a mile away to eat alfalpha. If they wanted alfalpha they bed there. I don't pack stuff in the back of my fridge if I no I'm gonna need it for dinner.

maybe so but deer will bed a mile from food if it is the only safe bedding. A lot depends on the pressure in your area. I would bet that they would bed as close to food as they can SAFELY bed.

Believe your correct. I don't have access to the crop fields usually just the fringe timber around it that nobody thinks to hunt. Often times just the non farmable stuff, now when the food changes to acorns I agree it's hard to pinpoint where they will head it often times leaves me scratching my head.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”