tree stand safety

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

tree stand safety

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:29 pm

With hunting season right around the corner I think is a good time to remind everyone to be safe. check your equipment before season and make sure you wear some sort of fall protection.

I have been lucky, I took many chances over the years and never fell. I did have a screw in tree step snap off about 20 ft. up but somehow managed not to fall.
I wedged hinged boards in the crotches of trees then stood on them. I never used fall protection. my first stand was a baker climbing stand that I referred to as the tree burner because it liked to slide down now and again.

Anyway, if you have an accident story or near miss, maybe we can learn from it.

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: tree stand safety

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Good word, magicman!

I was just testing out a homemade two step aider this week. I was only one foot off the ground, but the thing kicked out on me and I went straight to the ground, flat backed, head to the ground.
After a moment of shaking it off I looked around, I realized if I would have fallen the other direction I probably would have cracked my head on a pile of firewood.
It only takes a second, and gravity happens... Fast! :think:
Be safe.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Check out this thread I started years back.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8120

Really surprised me how many have had at least one accident. :o
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Good reminder! Wish I could say I was so lucky. Accident fall stories.... Hmmm. Where to start.

Last year a tree step came loose out of a rotten cottonwood and sent me down like a sack of potatoes nearly cutting off my finger and breaking 2 bones.

Afew years earlier decided to sit an anceint wood stand that had been in place since the Great Depression that was more than I bargained for and once again came crashing down. Nothing injured but my pride on that one.

The year b4 that I crawled up in the 2nd floor of this run down old farmhouse. Went to position my feet for a shot out the window and the entire house collapsed.

My 2nd or 3rd bowhunting I had a 2x4 shimmed under my platform to keep it level. Was climbing down and got the great idea to use the 2x4 for a handle and it pulled loose and sent me down pretty good. Ended up with some fractured ribs on that one.

Believe that is it in the fall department! But I consider myself pretty dang lucky I didn't get bad hurt. All the cases I knew better, but took a risk. Usually due to forgetting safety harness in truck or just bad judgement.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:52 pm

Do you guys stay tethered to the tree the entire time or do you unhook to climb into the stand? I know what's right just curious how many people actually stay connected the entire time.
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:51 am

bowfreak8 wrote:Do you guys stay tethered to the tree the entire time or do you unhook to climb into the stand? I know what's right just curious how many people actually stay connected the entire time.

Im usually unhooked when I take my 1st step onto the stand, which I know is probably the dumbest Idea and one of the times you are most vulnerable. Just haven't found a quiet/smooth/fast way to transition yet. I should probably work on that though
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 am

Never used a harness in my climber for years, and have slid in that thing on more than one occasion.

For going in and out of a stand. Use your lineman’s belt until the stand is hung. Put on your tether and hook in to that. Get that snug so you don’t fall a couple feet. Take off the belt, and climb in. Keep the tether as tight and little slack as possible. If you go, slack will put your boys up into your throat. Don’t let that happen.

My dad refuses to wear a harness. Finally I told him that whatever happens, he has to live with. He is choosing to do it, as much as everybody hates it. Trying to get him into a rock climbing harness but it’s not happening
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:35 am

Thanks for the reminder!
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:57 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Good reminder! Wish I could say I was so lucky. Accident fall stories.... Hmmm. Where to start.

Last year a tree step came loose out of a rotten cottonwood and sent me down like a sack of potatoes nearly cutting off my finger and breaking 2 bones.

Afew years earlier decided to sit an anceint wood stand that had been in place since the Great Depression that was more than I bargained for and once again came crashing down. Nothing injured but my pride on that one.

The year b4 thatI crawled up in the 2nd floor of this run down old farmhouse. Went to position my feet for a shot out the window and the entire house collapsed.

My 2nd or 3rd bowhunting I had a 2x4 shimmed under my platform to keep it level. Was climbing down and got the great idea to use the 2x4 for a handle and it pulled loose and sent me down pretty good. Ended up with some fractured ribs on that one.

Believe that is it in the fall department! But I consider myself pretty dang lucky I didn't get bad hurt. All the cases I knew better, but took a risk. Usually due to forgetting safety harness in truck or just bad judgement.

I fear this detail deserves a little more explanation................
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:30 am

bowfreak8 wrote:Do you guys stay tethered to the tree the entire time or do you unhook to climb into the stand? I know what's right just curious how many people actually stay connected the entire time.

I’m always connected. If your going to fall odds are it will be when climbing onto your stand. Stay connected.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:03 am

Dewey wrote:

I’m always connected. If your going to fall odds are it will be when climbing onto your stand. Stay connected.

Dewey, do you also set your lineman's belt back up on your way down the tree?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:24 am

bowfreak8 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Dewey, do you also set your lineman's belt back up on your way down the tree?

Yes. Always connected anytime my feet are off the ground.

I learned the hard way when I was young and dumb and thought it could never happen to me. Luckily I was never seriously injured before I finally got some common sense. I look back on some of the risks I took back then and just shake my head now. Bad thing is none of the safety equipment we have now was available back then. With the huge variety we have now there is absolutely no reason anybody is going without a safety harness. Once you know a few people who were seriously injured in treestand falls it tends to make you take notice it can happen to anybody. If you hunt off the ground chances are an accident WILL happen. I don’t want to be a statistic or unable to hunt anymore because I’m paralyzed.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:25 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Good reminder! Wish I could say I was so lucky. Accident fall stories.... Hmmm. Where to start.

The year b4 that I crawled up in the 2nd floor of this run down old farmhouse. Went to position my feet for a shot out the window and the entire house collapsed.

Jeez boogie.... I think you may have a hard time ever getting a cameraman

Entire houses are collapsing, I know I shouldnt laugh. I just picture you running upstairs all excited to shoot a buck, lay down to shoot, the whole thing collapses and a cloud of dust. Glad you're alright. I cant even read "the entire house collapsed" and not laugh a bit.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 am

Scratchman wrote:

The year b4 thatI crawled up in the 2nd floor of this run down old farmhouse. Went to position my feet for a shot out the window and the entire house collapsed.

I used to hunt this abandoned farm that has a super old wood house on it. Place also had a old orchard and plenty of blackberry vines and honeysuckle. It was a killer early season killer spot. Prob was there were no trees to climb into so I got the bright ideaa to crawl in that ratty fallen down house and shoot out the window to the orchard.

Worked fine for a few year, but it was in bad shape the year it fell ontop of me. Was leaning over to the side at 45, I new it was gonna go any day. But hunted it anyway, when I went to position myself for the shot that was all she wrote and fell over. Someone eventually baught the plAce and I haven't been back sense
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:45 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Scratchman wrote:

I used to hunt this abandoned farm that has a super old wood house on it. Place also had a old orchard and plenty of blackberry vines and honeysuckle. It was a killer early season killer spot. Prob was there were no trees to climb into so I got the bright ideaa to crawl in that ratty fallen down house and shoot out the window to the orchard.

Worked fine for a few year, but it was in bad shape the year it fell ontop of me. Was leaning over to the side at 45, I new it was gonna go any day. But hunted it anyway, when I went to position myself for the shot that was all she wrote and fell over. Someone eventually baught the plAce and I haven't been back sense

That seriously could have won you a bunch of money on America’s Funniest Home Videos. :lol:

Too bad you didn’t get it on film and glad you weren’t seriously hurt or killed. :o

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”