New property

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

New property

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 pm

So i was doing a side job down the road from my house the other day and when it came time to pay up she asked how much she owed. I said nothing if i can hunt ur property as i half chuckled. To my surprise she said sure. This property is small about 15 acres so i figured id get 1 early season sit 1 rut and maybe a 2nd weekend gun hunt its surrounded by a lot of woods and ive seen good bucks in the area.

My question is do i go scout quick even tho bow opener is only a month away. Or do i just go in blind stand on back?? Its killin me not to go in there but think thay may be best.

What do you guys think?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: New property

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:23 pm

What's the property look like? Can u watch from a distance? Any good terrain features? Where's the food? What's this property got that the neighbors don't? Sounds like no pressure, that's always good. Seems like I asked a lot of questions, but how I would attack it is based on those answers. Sweet find though!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:08 pm

8-)

Congrats brkissl82
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:19 am

That's tough. This close to season I don't think I would go in there scouting. Just hang and hunt.
Grant

Unread postby Grant » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:43 am

I'd set up some trail cams to see what is around and to determine if you're likely holding does or bucks. I'd go in with a stand on my back with the intention of hunting it if the trail cam pics looked promising. If everything is middle of the night, back out and go somewhere else and sit downwind of suspected doe bedding during the rut.

I've had good luck on a small piece during the rut that the bucks and I know holds good, undisturbed doe bedding. But I stay out until the time is right. When I've hit it too early, it gets ruined easily.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 am

Food plots, ladder stands, shooting lanes, deer cane, and corn, corn, CORN!!!!

Or not, lol. Maybe watch a little at last light and walk where they are used to humans. Congrats and keep the good will with owners.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 am

You have 4 weeks till hunting season, if you go in and do a full dive on the property to get a feeling for it you should be fine. Yes you will bump deer but you are doing it once and then allowing them to have 4 weeks to calm down. Deer get bumped all the time by different thinks, yotes, random loud noises, etc. but they only change their habits and bedding if it is something consistently happening. If you go in once and leave it alone till you plan to hunt it I think you will be fine and can gather the greatest amount of information prior the season.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:53 am

I guess my take is a little different...

On fifteen acres, I'd wait for season to open, then walk in with a stand on your back and bow in your hand. Set up and find out if you picked the right spot. You don't need to do much scouting of a piece that small, and I'd think the sign would jump out at you as you walk in regarding where you ought to set up. I'd also stray from any cameras. It won't take much to change how they naturally move. If it's close to her house, they've learned their comfort zones to move freely, but once that camera is out there clicking pics and the scent of you is back and forth back there, who's to say those deer don't avoid the area until after dark and at random times?

It's small. Go in, hunt it, and adjust according to observations.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:05 am

I'd walk it, that's just me. I'm way less confident at this point going into places blind.

To Sams point you could use your first early season sit as the scouting opportunity, walk the whole thing looking for sign to hunt. If theres nothing, try it again in the rut.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 am

I'm with Sam, I'd go in prepared to hunt it that day. I'd add that I would hang and hunt at the first good sign/setup that I found, rather than pushing deeper looking for better sign and risking mucking up the whole parcel. I'd also spend a little time leading up to that studying topos and aerials, including the neighboring properties, to make my best guess as to where the bedding and food are (might be there's an obvious crop nearby). Based off that best guess, I'd have an idea where I'm heading day of the hunt and then I'm changing that plan if things are different than expected on the way in.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 am

Sam Ubl wrote:I guess my take is a little different...

On fifteen acres, I'd wait for season to open, then walk in with a stand on your back and bow in your hand. Set up and find out if you picked the right spot. You don't need to do much scouting of a piece that small, and I'd think the sign would jump out at you as you walk in regarding where you ought to set up. I'd also stray from any cameras. It won't take much to change how they naturally move. If it's close to her house, they've learned their comfort zones to move freely, but once that camera is out there clicking pics and the scent of you is back and forth back there, who's to say those deer don't avoid the area until after dark and at random times?

It's small. Go in, hunt it, and adjust according to observations.

Amen Sam. Use beast skills and knowledge to figure these deer out. 15 acres should be too hard to decipher what’s going on. If it’s farm or hill country....remember they are watching you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”