Satellite Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

W_ky_archer

Satellite Bedding

Unread postby W_ky_archer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 am

Question for all you seasoned bed hunters. I understand that a buck will have a primary bedding area with satellite bedding scattered around for different winds. On average, how far away from the primary bed are you finding these satellite beds or alternate wind beds? Have you seen a buck bed on a different ridge 200-300yds away because of a different wind or do you normally see the buck prefer to stay somewhat close to his primary bed and just shift around the point to adjust for wind?

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Satellite Bedding

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:23 am

W_ky_archer wrote:Question for all you seasoned bed hunters. I understand that a buck will have a primary bedding area with satellite bedding scattered around for different winds. On average, how far away from the primary bed are you finding these satellite beds or alternate wind beds? Have you seen a buck bed on a different ridge 200-300yds away because of a different wind or do you normally see the buck prefer to stay somewhat close to his primary bed and just shift around the point to adjust for wind?

most primary Buck bedding areas have multiple beds that the dominant buck beds in based on wind, thermals, exposure, etc. Satellite bedding is totally different. Satellite beds are used by other deer whom the dominant buck won't allow to bed to close while he is there. 2 totally different things.
With that said, primary beds are usually within a 1 acre or smaller area, often much smaller. Satellite is in fringe areas as close as possible to the bedding area... Satellite beds are the ones you kick deer out of sneaking to your spot.
W_ky_archer

Unread postby W_ky_archer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks for clearing that up Dan. This helps out a lot
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:11 am

I'd like to piggyback off that response Dan. I'm finding a lot of that small buck/doe satellite bedding on my entry to set up over the primary bed. What's your thought process when approaching the primary bed knowing there are likely smaller deer "in the way" ?

Asked in another way how much do you worry about bumping other deer on your way deeper into that cover? How often would you say you jump other deer before setting up?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:15 am

cw2gsp wrote:I'd like to piggyback off that response Dan. I'm finding a lot of that small buck/doe satellite bedding on my entry to set up over the primary bed. What's your thought process when approaching the primary bed knowing there are likely smaller deer "in the way" ?

Asked in another way how much do you worry about bumping other deer on your way deeper into that cover? How often would you say you jump other deer before setting up?

I get asked that a lot... I have kicked up satalite bucks and had them run thru the bedding area and the target buck gets up and runs off with them, and I have had them stay there and I kill them that same day... I certainly don't want to kick deer thru the bedding area, and set up to avoid it if possible, but its not a game ender by any means. My observations tell me its much better to get set up midday when the bucks are groggy and lethargic. You get away with more than if you go in late when there still bedded but more alert.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”