Thinking about starting a hunting apparel company

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Aaron Jones
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/aaron.m.jones.90?ref=bookmarks

Re: Thinking about starting a hunting apparel company

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:28 pm

I’m definitely interested in this for sure. For me, I just want it to be quiet and comfortable. Pretty much the vast majority of what everyone else has said.

I am glad that I read this whole thread. Crazy that first lite marks up there apparel that much. I was just looking into buying some. Super glad that I didn’t. Would love to see where this goes.

Good luck!

Loving the Public Land pursuit!
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Yes merino wool at a reasonable price would be nice
Aim small miss small
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:16 pm

I always wonder guys that whine and moan about "reasonable" prices for quality gear, how many are driving around in $60k pickups. Luxury pricing is one thing, but there are very few instances of that (yeti being obvious example). Good luck to the OP, curious about some of your math-a-matics, but have at it!
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:41 pm

elk yinzer wrote:I always wonder guys that whine and moan about "reasonable" prices for quality gear, how many are driving around in $60k pickups. Luxury pricing is one thing, but there are very few instances of that (yeti being obvious example). Good luck to the OP, curious about some of your math-a-matics, but have at it!

I drive a 18 year old dodge dakota. And I don't buy sitka. You must be thinking of a different forum? :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:41 pm

double post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:56 am

elk yinzer wrote:I always wonder guys that whine and moan about "reasonable" prices for quality gear, how many are driving around in $60k pickups. Luxury pricing is one thing, but there are very few instances of that (yeti being obvious example). Good luck to the OP, curious about some of your math-a-matics, but have at it!

$20k, 5 yr old dodge ram with bad front struts... lol.. If there are worse investments than overpriced vehicles it's hard to think of them.

The bottom-line production cost of the garment is one thing. Design, marketing, packaging, warehousing, inventory management, shipping, is another.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:12 am

Would love to see something similar to the Sitka fanatic hoody. That thing is amazing. I just can't see spending $189 on one piece of one layer. Price have gotten insane for any good quality gear.
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:35 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:Wind is the real enemy in cold weather. A quiet, windproof, form fitting outer layer with various levels of insulation would be an all season solution. And any pants should have at least knee length zippers in my opinion. I've always thought about doing a startup but have never had the resources to do so. Good luck to you

I agree. Windproof is huge for me. Taking the bite out of the wind makes a sit feel so much warmer. I'm also a fan of the versatile layering options for different temps. Another must is quiet. Too many of the companies offering "quiet" material are misleading us. If i put it on and make a bow drawing motion, and I hear it, i'm not buying it. Lastly, chest pockets for easy access to my phone/gps/rangefinder, and those handwarming pockets that are up high towards the armpit area. Those pockets are so comfy to hang my hands in, and really help keep me warm. in closing: windproof, quiet, chest pockets, armpit handwarmer pockets. also, if you need testing, I"m in.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Merino wool at a reasonable price would be a big hit I think. Roomy outer layer for us bigger guys would be nice too. Too many products limited to 2xl. Open type of camo merino! I will add that a Sherpa vest has become one of my most versatile pieces of hunting apparel - one you might consider. Also, truly waterproof rain gear that is breathable and comfortable seems like the holy grail I have never found (at least in my size).[/quote]

I agree! Even though I'm loosing weight and finally in a 2xl the past 10 years I've been in a 3x and 4x. Its been very hard to find those sizes.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:22 am

I like KUIU's direct to consumer marketing approach that cuts out the middle man. Unfortunately their clothes fit me very poorly and aren't tailored to whitetail hunting. There was a company coming online last year that was going to fill that void but they decided to pull the plug at the last minute because they decided there was too much competition and it would be too difficult to turn a profit.
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:35 am

Octang wrote:I like KUIU's direct to consumer marketing approach that cuts out the midd man

I think First Lite does this now as well
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:39 am

I'd start with something simple like a well designed early season vest with pockets in all the right places. Could be used for whitetails and turkey. I love a good vest with lots of secure pockets.
twofingers

Unread postby twofingers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:47 am

I agree with others:
1. Merino or alpaca wool base layer that is more than 50% wool. No need for camp in base layer, earth tones

2. Mid layer, I love the old cabelas fleece with wind stopper. Stops the wind, is quiet and warm without the bulk. Great to wear as the outer when packing in with the outlet layer strapped to stand. A few secure zipped pockets for not hunting items like keys and wallet - store spare gloves and wool cap.

3. Outer layer: QUIET and wind proof. If you can stop the wind, you can loose bulk. Chest pockets for gps/phone and high hand warmer pockets astbstayed before. Earth tones or open camo. I loved the old Trebark, and still have old coat and hat Inuse regularly, but needs bigger pattern.

4. Pants: I prefer bdu style with the double cargo. I almost always have knee high boots on and prefer to tuck my pants in boots to keep them dry. Quiet and wind proof

5. Socks: 75% or more merino wool

I am willing to pay small fee plus cover shipping costs to test stuff out.
Good luck to you
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:03 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I'd start with something simple like a well designed early season vest with pockets in all the right places. Could be used for whitetails and turkey. I love a good vest with lots of secure pockets.

I agree jm
But also. I need Really really light bibs or coveralls
I love coveralls. So easy too slip in them slip out of them
I have 2 sets. One light set from my scentlok days
The savanah scent lok coveralls are light weight but its like wearing a quiet trash bag. OMG. Are they hot
Im looking for super light weight breathable coveralls without the ( sitka ) price taf. I love stika stuff but just not in my budget. Bibs of any kind i love snd have too.
Then we need a mid season coverall that is insulated but not too insulated. Just enough for those frosty chilly mornings and evenings right before dark
Winter ya need in my opinion. Either heavy insulated bibs or again heavy insulated coveralls. Cammo i really am not worried about it. I think cammoflauge is a marketing ploy making us think we need cammo too hunt
Dont get me wrong i love cammo. Its cool. I think it just reminds me of hunting thats all
My dad (which is gone now ) and brothers hunt in blue jeans plaid flanel shirts and work boots. I do try too wear browns and greens though. Im actually gonna test my theory this up coming season.
Florida-East

Unread postby Florida-East » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:34 am

Something lite, early season type, but for florida and with a camo pattern concept like ASAT. I'd be buying it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”