Thinking about starting a hunting apparel company

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jporcello
500 Club

Re: Thinking about starting a hunting apparel company

Unread postby jporcello » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 pm

following

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Colors like this is what I'm talking about. No need to have digital printing of leafs and branches which adds to cost. Simple stuff that works gets my nod.

That Asbel stuff is pretty nice. I've had a couple. Pretty warm but too loose fitting. Priced better than most any others in that same type of clothing realm
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 pm

It would be great to have some Sitka quality hunting clothes that your average person could afford. I don’t mind paying for a good product but almost a $1000 for hunting clothes is a little outrageous.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Don’t forget about the short, stubby, fat people. I can never find pants with 29 inch inseam. Which is crazy because I am averaged height and I know there has to be a ton of other guys out there with short legs like myself. Other then that cheaper prices on nice hunting clothing would be great.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:34 pm

I think part of the reason that hunting clothing is so expensive is that the target market is pretty small (not a whole lot of hunters as a percentage of the population) and the market is also saturated with a lot of quality competition. I wish the OP luck but I think it's going to be tough to break in. Even look at established companies making merino clothing that bailed on the hunting segment of the clothing industry (IceBreaker).

I was heartbroken to see IceBreaker drop their hunting clothing line from their site. I thought they made the hands-down best quality merino hunting clothing. First Lite and Sitka were okay (and in Sitka's case extremely overpriced for what you get and it's not even merino, it's overpriced polyester fleece) but when it came to quality IceBreaker was top notch. And if you got them on the postseason sales they were reasonably priced. But last year they priced all their hunting clothing down into the clearance section of their site. Some of the markdowns were 80%! I bought what I could because I had a feeling it was the end of the road. Items they sold out of weren't being restocked and that right there is tell tale....

Anyway, my point is that I wish the OP the best of luck. It won't be easy. That's for sure.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 pm

I want a mid weight, quiet, coat that is set up like a turkey vest.
Think still hunter that wants to set down once in a while.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 pm

offer a variety of material density with fleece or wool. light weight, mid weight, and heavy weight.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 pm

The market definitely needs quality affordable clothing.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 am

I wish you much luck, I think that is a very tough and competitive market. I dabbled with making clothes, for a while, I really enjoyed creating the shirts and jackets, but couldn't figure out how to make money in it. I was probably just too small. Of all my hunting clothing I use, the ones Chuck and I made are my favorite.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:06 am

I would like to see a company specialize in outer shells. Coveralls for early season, and insulated coveralls for later in the year. I've always used outershell systems so that I can wear whatever underneath, and avoid the ridiculous markup that you alluded to in your OP. I currently use a leafy suit (mesh) in the early season, and insulated coveralls once it gets cold. I don't mind paying a premium for these items since I can save money on the layers underneath. I think to be successful you will need considerable product differentiation, and this avenue might accomplish that for you. Good luck! I know you could count on the Beast community for support.
jonny_max

Unread postby jonny_max » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:21 am

Tall sizes!

When it comes to bottoms (bibs/pants), I struggle to find quality layering and outer layers, that run a 34"-36" inseam. I like the olive drab color. Merino at an affordable price.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:39 am

Just a few thoughts I have, maybe a little random but things I'd like to see in clothing marketed and priced for average (average income) hunters:

1. Base Layers: I like thumbhole sleeves and drop tails. I don't need camo base layers, but I would like them color-coded by weight (OD lightweight, coyote midweight, black heavyweight).

2. I don't know why all puffy jackets have to be so dang loud. When I was in the Marines, I loved my field jacket liner and my poncho liner, and while they weren't as quiet as fleece they also didn't sound like ski pants. Something along the lines of those two old military standbys with a little higher loft would be great. Kifaru makes something like this called a Woobie...it should be more like $50, not $150. I haven't seen an alternative to the M-65 field jacket liner, but would like to (it would need to have a little longer sleeves and torso than the old military version).

3. We don't need pockets on outerwear specially sized for grunt tubes, rangefinders, tampons, or anything else. Normal pockets did the trick for decades and were versatile. I like versatile.

4. I agree with other posters about camo. If we're going to wear camo at all, I'd rather see open patterns than more of the sticks and leaves garbage. Woodland military fatigues are excellent camo after they've faded out a little bit, which I think is why Cabela's Outfitter camo is popular. We don't need Gucci-flage, just something real basic to break us up a bit.

5. All outwear tops should have a harness pass through with a little flap over it so we can wear our hood with our harness, or cover that dang hole when we're not in a treestand.

6. Velcro and snap buttons suck...simple pass-thru buttons are adequate, simple, cheap, and quiet. Zippers need to be quieter too...I've seen zippers that seem to be rubberized or something, this should be standard on hunting clothing.

7. No one wants to replace their gear every 2-3 years. Products should be durable, or they shouldn't exist at all. I don't use Scent Lok anymore, but the old Full Season stuff I had held up for over 7 years. The First Lite stuff I bought two years ago already needs to be replaced. There's a middle ground where we get what need, don't get what we don't need, and the clothing we buy serves us for several seasons.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:10 am

Drenalin wrote: The First Lite stuff I bought two years ago already needs to be replaced.

Jeez. You would think at their price point you'd be getting gear for life! Which pieces need to be replaced if you don't mind me asking?
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:51 am

d_rek wrote:
Drenalin wrote: The First Lite stuff I bought two years ago already needs to be replaced.

Jeez. You would think at their price point you'd be getting gear for life! Which pieces need to be replaced if you don't mind me asking?

The Llano top has developed several holes as has the Chama hoodie. My Obsidian pants are still ok - they've got a minor hole, but it hasn't spread which is right in line with what it's supposed to do. My Halstead fleece is overall in decent shape, but the area where my pack straps ride has started to flake the camo off and is showing white which is just weird. Not a huge deal on the Halstead, but it's actually only a year old. The other pieces I've been wearing for two years. I believe the Llano and Halstead have both been discontinued as of this year and replaced with slightly different variations of the same thing. At their price points, I can't/won't replace with their products. Other than the durability, this stuff is great and the fusion camo is simply awesome. But I didn't feel like I got what I paid for.

I doubt their are a bunch of First Lite fanboys here but just so nobody jumps me about garment care, I followed the manufacturer's instructions for washing and only washed when muddy or bloody. I'm not out doing a bunch of brush busting with merino as an outerlayer either. I may have misused the Halstead a bit wearing it as an outer while I hike in with a pack, but I'd have a hard time swallowing that that constitutes abuse for any clothing.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:02 am

Drenalin wrote:
d_rek wrote:

The Llano top has developed several holes as has the Chama hoodie. My Obsidian pants are still ok - they've got a minor hole, but it hasn't spread which is right in line with what it's supposed to do. My Halstead fleece is overall in decent shape, but the area where my pack straps ride has started to flake the camo off and is showing white which is just weird. Not a huge deal on the Halstead, but it's actually only a year old. The other pieces I've been wearing for two years. I believe the Llano and Halstead have both been discontinued as of this year and replaced with slightly different variations of the same thing. At their price points, I can't/won't replace with their products. Other than the durability, this stuff is great and the fusion camo is simply awesome. But I didn't feel like I got what I paid for.

I doubt their are a bunch of First Lite fanboys here but just so nobody jumps me about garment care, I followed the manufacturer's instructions for washing and only washed when muddy or bloody. I'm not out doing a bunch of brush busting with merino as an outerlayer either. I may have misused the Halstead a bit wearing it as an outer while I hike in with a pack, but I'd have a hard time swallowing that that constitutes abuse for any clothing.

Good to know and thanks for sharing! I would think a garment manufacturer would be really worried about experiences like that and how they can make gear more durable. I definitely don't expect to be replacing $150+ tops/outerwear after one season!
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”